Cover Letter Woes

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I've searched this site and Google for ideas on how to compose the best cover letter. This is a second career for me. The first career did not entail applications and cover letters. I have so many ideas swimming around in my head and would appreciate any tips that can be given to help me focus.

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Here is a rough draft. All/any comments welcome. Even if they may hurt. lol

To whom it may concern,

I am responding to an opening advertised for an EMT-B with AMR. My professional approach and training will provide your company with a proficient EMT. I am extremely interested in contributing as a part of the team at AMR.

I am a conscientious person who works hard and pays attention to detail. I'm flexible, quick to pick up new skills and eager to learn from others. I also have an abundance of enthusiasm. I have great empathy toward others. I'm keen to work for a company with a great reputation and high profile like American Medical Response.

My accomplishments and qualifications are further detailed in the attached resume. I welcome the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to your organization.I appreciate your time and consideration.

Warmest Regards,

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
By no means am I on a hiring committee, but if it were me, I would scratch that and make something a bit more personable. That's very generic, and understandably so, considering the guidelines out there for writing cover letters. My guess is AMR gets a ton of emails with the exact same wording, and the person reading them won't differentiate you from everyone else.

Just my opinion.

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
By no means am I on a hiring committee, but if it were me, I would scratch that and make something a bit more personable. That's very generic, and understandably so, considering the guidelines out there for writing cover letters. My guess is AMR gets a ton of emails with the exact same wording, and the person reading them won't differentiate you from everyone else.

Just my opinion.

Do you mean too formal in addition to cookie cutter-ish?

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Here's another attempt.

To Whom it May Concern,

I have been wracking my brain to come up with something clever in the first paragraph of my cover letter and I keep coming back to the same statement: “I’m excited to have the opportunity to apply for a job as EMT-B with American Medical Response.” I come back to it because it is the simple truth. I was really pleased when AMR came to the Phoenix area and have been eagerly awaiting this opportunity.

I possess all of the skills and knowledge to be a good EMT, but my skills go beyond that. I am a “people person”. I have the ability to get along with people of many personality types. I know how to be diplomatic.

I am eager and willing to learn new things, but am also comfortable asking questions and admitting when I don’t know something. The ambulance is no place for ego.

I have no reservations “jumping in” to a situation, but I also recognize when it’s time to step back and be supportive.

My empathy toward other people is strong and wide reaching. I welcome the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to AMR.I appreciate your time and consideration.

Warmest Regards,

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
how to compose the best cover letter.

The best resume and cover letter is the one that gets you hired. I got hired with just a resume. I'll have to do some digging around because I did a pretty damn good one for english senior year, although I fear it may have since been deleted.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So after doing some serious digging I have found nothing. Sorry, but it was from 3 years ago and I've never used a cover letter for a interview.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
I would break mine down into three main categories. How my education, training and experience has helped prepare me for this position. And experience can be life experience. Make it formal, but personal.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Just an idea:

Richard Q. Rescue
123 Anywhere St
Somewhere, IL 12345

Monday, January 1, 2483

Mom's Ambulance Co.
ATTN: Human Resources
P.O. Box 90210
Big Town, IL 54321

RE: Advertised job posting for Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)

Dear madam or sir:

I am writing in response to your job posting for an EMT and wish to be considered for the position. Enclosed you will find my résumé and photocopies of all relevant documents including my EMT license, BLS card, ambulance driver license, as well as ICS 100, 200, and 700 certificates as recommended on your website.

My experience in out-of-hospital medicine and my demonstrated creative problem solving and communication skills make me an excellent candidate to carefully and courteously attend to patients in a variety of situations that I will encounter at Mom's Ambulance.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me at (123) 456-7890. I appreciate your attention to this matter, and look forward to serve and grow at Mom's Ambulance.

Respectfully,

[signed]

Richard Q. Rescue
ENCL: Résumé, Certifications

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Just an idea:

Richard Q. Rescue
123 Anywhere St
Somewhere, IL 12345

Monday, January 1, 2483

Mom's Ambulance Co.
P.O. Box 90210
Big Town, IL 54321

Dear madam or sir:

I am writing in response to your job posting for an EMT and wish to be considered for the position. Enclosed you will find my résumé and photocopies of all relevant documents including my EMT license, BLS card, ambulance driver license, as well as ICS 100, 200, and 700 certificates as recommended on your website.

My experience in out-of-hospital medicine and my demonstrated creative problem solving and communication skills make me an excellent candidate to carefully and courteously attend to patients in a variety of situations that I will encounter at Mom's Ambulance.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me at (123) 456-7890. I appreciate your attention to this matter, and look forward to serve and grow at Mom's Ambulance.

Respectfully,

[signed]

Richard Q. Rescue

Thanks so much!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Any opportunity you have to showcase customer service experience is a plus.

That's 95% of the job.

The other 5% is carrying gargantuan people up stairs in a stairchair, explaining to the SNF nurse why you're late and cleaning up puke.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Your first draft was OK. Your second draft was too long. Cover letters should be short and not repeat anything that's already in your resume or attachments. It's hard and akward, but if you can get it normal that's good and if you can nail it that's great.

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
It's funny. I've always done really well in school. Always gotten really good grades. Why does this feel so awkward? lol

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do you have to even write a cover letter? In some applications they are superfluous, though when I was just shotgunning applications to ambulance services and hospitals I tried to leave one.

I am not going to post them however as I didn't really follow what I now know to be accepted practices and basically summarized relevant portions of my resume in an effort to relate experience to a new job. Though not a full page, they are too wordy.

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Do you have to even write a cover letter? In some applications they are superfluous, though when I was just shotgunning applications to ambulance services and hospitals I tried to leave one.

I am not going to post them however as I didn't really follow what I now know to be accepted practices and basically summarized relevant portions of my resume in an effort to relate experience to a new job. Though not a full page, they are too wordy.

There is a place for one. There have been on two others. I have never left one before and still got a job. I just really want to do everything I can to get an interview. It's the only show in town now. I guess I don't have to leave one.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, I agree with Ewok that your first cover letter is better than your second. I also like the one RedAirplane submitted. If I were hiring, neither of those would give me any red flags to worry about.

Cover letters aren't as much about demonstrating your creative writing skills as they are about showing you can organize your thoughts and communicate in a way that isn't scary.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Just an idea:

Richard Q. Rescue
123 Anywhere St
Somewhere, IL 12345

Monday, January 1, 2483

Mom's Ambulance Co.
P.O. Box 90210
Big Town, IL 54321

Dear madam or sir:

Respectfully,

[signed]

Richard Q. Rescue
This is a perfect example of an excellent cover letter.