Courtesy notification and EMTALA

JPINFV

Gadfly
Indirectly EMTALA does. The ambulance crew must have or be provided all necessary equipment and medications to provide the care required during transfer.
As compared to all of the non-EMTALA related transfers where the crew doesn't have to provide all of the necessary equipment or medications to provide the care required during transport? I don't think the vent dependent patient going back to a sub-acute falls under EMTALA, however that patient still needs more than an EMT crew.

18G

Paramedic
As compared to all of the non-EMTALA related transfers where the crew doesn't have to provide all of the necessary equipment or medications to provide the care required during transport? I don't think the vent dependent patient going back to a sub-acute falls under EMTALA, however that patient still needs more than an EMT crew.

EMTALA applies to all emergent transfer of patients out of Emergency Depts that receive Medicare payments.

JPINFV

Gadfly
EMTALA applies to all emergent transfer of patients out of Emergency Depts that receive Medicare payments.

My point is that regardless of whether it applies, all patients have to be transported by a crew who can meet the demands of the transport. If the hospital has to provide a vial or two because the crew doesn't normally carry it, then so be it.