Courses to take to prepare for Paramedic school?

Shaysurfs

Forum Probie
Hi all! So, I am new here and I may be jumping the gun a bit here, as I haven't even begun my EMT-B program yet, but my goal is to become a Paramedic. After I finish my EMT-B program and pass the NREMT-B, I plan on trying to work as an EMT for at least a year before applying to medic school, in order to give myself field experience and time to prepare for Paramedic school by taking cc courses.

My question is, what courses should I take? I plan on taking A & P, Medical Terminology, what else should I take? I have to mention that I am absolutely horrible at math, should I take a math class or try to take a drug calculation class? Both? Any other courses that would benefit me? Chemistry?

I appreciate all advice/recommendations offered, as I am here to learn and prepare! Thank you! :)

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Abnormal Psych, Micro, Algebra obviously if your weak at math, Chemistry is huge along with FULL anatomy and physiology courses with Labs, If you can get into 5 unit Anatomy and 5 unit Physiology courses do not hesitate, even if you have to push back medic school. Those 2 coupled with a good Chem class will take your understanding of pharmacology way beyond the paramedic level long before your even done with the class.

OP
OP
S

Shaysurfs

Forum Probie
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Pushing school back an extra 6 months, if I need to, is not a big deal. It is more important to me to succeed and only have to go to paramedic school once than it is to try to speed through it and fail out or not get as much out of it as I can.

Just out of curiosity, why Abnormal psych? Also, I'm assuming you mean microbiology, correct? Would you recommend that I take a Medical Terminology course or is it not necessary in your opinion?

Thanks again!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Psych 1 was also a good class, but i felt I got more out of Psych 14. Microbiology correct. Medical Terminology............ I would say pass on it. Through A/P and Medic class you will learn enough for entry level and can just buy a med term book to study the rest is my opinion plus once your working and continually taking CE classes the total immersion will help also.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
personally i took none of those besides maybe a high school anatomy and phys course. i dove right from high school into a medic program in the fall. just graduated and passed the registry written. taking the practical in two weeks. have my basic for about 2 and half years now. so emt expierience and a strong basic knowledge is sufficient but the classes suggested can only help you do better and succeed through the medic class. good luck to you and i suggest that you start the program when you feel ready.

tawnymarie

Forum Probie
Hi all! So, I am new here and I may be jumping the gun a bit here, as I haven't even begun my EMT-B program yet, but my goal is to become a Paramedic. After I finish my EMT-B program and pass the NREMT-B, I plan on trying to work as an EMT for at least a year before applying to medic school, in order to give myself field experience and time to prepare for Paramedic school by taking cc courses.

My question is, what courses should I take? I plan on taking A & P, Medical Terminology, what else should I take? I have to mention that I am absolutely horrible at math, should I take a math class or try to take a drug calculation class? Both? Any other courses that would benefit me? Chemistry?

I appreciate all advice/recommendations offered, as I am here to learn and prepare! Thank you! :)

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but, I found my communications class to be highly useful. I'm a math and science nerd and had that all out of the way and I'm sure many have mentioned those...But, if you're looking for electives etc that could supplement it I highly recommend Communication Class, Spanish for Medical Providers, AND maybe some kind of EKG course?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Tawny brings up an excellent point. A communications class or two will definitely help. Just don't overanalyze yourself. I can't do psych classes well. I apply everything to myself and it never ends well.