Could NOT drive ambulance

Tk11

Forum Captain
First time driving an ambulance was today. They had us run a course. I was kept hitting cones and was told I need more practice and they'll call me regarding what they want to do with me. I'm writing this because I'm frustrated and upset. Something so simple I couldn't do, now I could be fired before I was hired. I have third rides starting Friday so my guess is they're not going to let me do them and let me go. I was hired a few weeks back, this was the last day of orientation. I got my badge, uniform, everything from them, I guess they never expected someone to fail a driving course. I had to back up through cones zig zag style and I kept hitting some. I don't know what to do, I want this job badly now I may be let go as soon as I was told I was hired cause I couldn't get through a driving course.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I got zero drivers training and spent my first two months attending until I got a new partner who made it his mission to teach me how to drive the rig.

Your not the first nor will be the last peson to run down some cones. My bet is that they'll let you continue on to field training with the stipulation that you're not allowed to drive until you do some remedial training.

Going from your personal car to a mod, even a van, can be intimidating when you've never driven such a big heavy vehicle. Take it slow and use a backer. It'll take some time to learn the dimensions of the rig and where the rear wheels are. You just need some seat time.

Did you have a backer for the obstacle course? Did you only hit cones while backing?

You could rent a mod sized uhaul and cruise around in that for a few days. That'll learn you good, but I don't really recommend it. Any reputable company should be investing time into your driver's training. Have your TO take you out to an empty parking lot and practice tooling around, that's what we always did.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Practice practice practice. Look up other threads as they have been showing up recently about the same topic. Good luck :]