Correct me if I'm wrong...

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
...but did Nintendo just announce that they've invented the PulseOx?

Link here

wii_vitality_1.jpg

RVL_WVS_C1_E3.jpg

I mean, taking your work home with you is one thing, but using it as entertainment is quite another.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems like it'd go along well with the wii fit.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
sweet, know it can be confirmed that I'm grossly out of shape while even playing video games.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Stupid Nintendo.

(Excluding the god-like N64)

(And original Gameboy / Gameboy colors)

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Old school gamers represent! Pong and Atari 2600!

mikie

Forum Lurker
This could be good!

We could play video games while monitoring the patient simultaneously:p

Seriously...no thanks, I don't need to see my pulse on TV and god-knows-what other findings it will have

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Super Mario 64
Zelda (any of them, especially Ocarina of Time)
Mario Kart (64 and the new Wii one)

Ya know what I mean? 64 rocks. And I love the Wii; Mario Kart were/are the only games I can get my entire family to play together. But my heart still rests with the original NES. Still play Duck Hunt and Robin Hood when I can get it to work!

when they attatch an AED to the Wii, then I will be impressed.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh Lord, just what we need... Now every basic is going to sit around and be all like, "Why can't we use pulse ox's again? It's so simple that it's being sold as a game!"

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh Lord, just what we need... Now every basic is going to sit around and be all like, "Why can't we use pulse ox's again? It's so simple that it's being sold as a game!"

Our version of the EMTB is the EMR and our EMRs can use the pulse ox.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Some Basics, in some systems, can use pulse-ox, which ain't that hard to do... it is the interpretion of it where I have my doubts in regards to most basics (myself excluded). I have worked a job where we were granted an exemption to use it because of your unique situation. It was a youth correction facility where kids would frequently fake asthma and other resp problems to get out of PE. Obviously we were smart enough to recognize a true resp. problem from a faker (i.e. "Come on, man, I can;t breath, man, I need to take a break form this running, man." "Look, man, if you would stop talking for a moment, I could explain to you that if you are talking (as much as you) you are breathing just fine."), but we threw on the pulse ox to CYA and document. Only once (for me) was it below 94% and that was on a kid who woke up in the middle of the night experiencing an asthma attack (BAD NEWS) and needed a neb treatment (another skill that we were given from the state through exemptions).

I WANT TO BUY Wii ECG WHEN IT COMES OUT!!! "Diagnose your own inferior wall MI with the all new Wii ECG; available in a store near you!"

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ahh, but what's the point of using a device that you can't interpret. Sure, the physical skill of attaching and reading a number isn't really that hard, but it's kinda of pointless if we, and by "we," I mean us basics as a whole, can't determine what importance, if any, that value holds. If the only important thing was the mechanical attachment, then basics might as well be able to do cardiac monitoring and 12 leads (as basics, not while 'assisting' a medic).

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahh, but what's the point of using a device that you can't interpret. Sure, the physical skill of attaching and reading a number isn't really that hard, but it's kinda of pointless if we, and by "we," I mean us basics as a whole, can't determine what importance, if any, that value holds. If the only important thing was the mechanical attachment, then basics might as well be able to do cardiac monitoring and 12 leads (as basics, not while 'assisting' a medic).

Agreed, that was part of my point. We (basics) use BP cuffs because we understand what "bad" is and the importance of responding accordingly to that. Same goes for ECG, pulse ox, or artierial blood gases: Most procedures are not that hard to learn, it is all about learning how to interpret those results and then to have the skills to do something about "bad" results. My point was that, while I agree that pulse ox is so simple a cave man with a Wii can do it and it shouldn't be in the basic scope until we (collectively) can interpret it, there are those EMS systems that allow basics to use them and have (I hope) trained them on how to interpret them. Then again, what is our response to a "bad" SpO2? O2 and transport... same as without a pulse ox!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Quit generalizing. Just because there are some idiots with this cert doesn't mean everyone is. Don't lump me with them.

It doesn't take much A&P to understand how a PulseOx works. It doesn't take much to understand what's going on with it. It's a tool, it's not the final answer, and anyone who uses it as the end-all instead of a way to GET to it, is beyond help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Please tell me the new Trauma Center game is going to use this.

OP
OP
P

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief

Not only can our EMT-B's use the PulseOx, but they are required to before they are approved to take a patient to the hospital. They want a sat reading on each and every patient, period.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You need approval to transport to the hospital?