Contemplating becoming EMT-B

fastfox89

Forum Ride Along
Hows it goin everyone, name's Dave and Im from San Diego. I stumbled across this forum while looking up info on emt info and decided to join up. Im looking into becoming an emt-b and then possibly move up the ladder...maybe paramedic. I currently work days 6 am to 3pm fulltime in a management position monday to friday. Any advice or tips on how to go about this. I know theres a dedicated tech college for becoming an emt in a couple of weeks for 1k. Then theres community college. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Accelerated courses tend to be looked down upon but I don't want to open that can of argument worms again.

Most will say the CC is better. Most of the CC programs I have seen offer night classes which would work well with your schedule if your OK with being in class till 9 or 10 a couple nights a week. My basic was 5-10 Monday and Wednesday then 4 saturdays all day.

Darkoverlift

Forum Probie
I am probably the oldest on here, 34 LOL, but have worked 10 years in the IT field and now realize I chose the wrong career and am now working on landing a EMT job.

I recommend a Community College. You currently have a job, take your time, learn it, volunteer, do ride alongs, and build experience. I began my EMT program though the fire department I volunteered at. It began last October and I now just took the NREMT and passed. Doing it thought the FD though, when a call came in the class went, so we got experience the first week of class and on and on throughout class. I think 4 classes in we were assisting a MVA Head on Collision.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I am probably the oldest on here, 34 LOL

Not even freaking close. I know of a couple of members on here in their late fifties and one in his early sixties.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Hows it goin everyone, name's Dave and Im from San Diego. I stumbled across this forum while looking up info on emt info and decided to join up. Im looking into becoming an emt-b

Just remember your chances of finding work in EMS in California are not that great. Something to keep in mind before you get into training.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Not even freaking close. I know of a couple of members on here in their late fifties and one in his early sixties.

LOL, I'm probably the one on here who's been doing it the longest, 17 years.

(kidding. I like it when early- to mid- thirties is YOUNG!)

OP, Community college classes are going to be your best bet, but be prepared to look hard for a job in California. I think the per-capita EMT rate there is out of this world.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL, I'm probably the one on here who's been doing it the longest, 17 years.

(kidding. I like it when early- to mid- thirties is YOUNG!)

OP, Community college classes are going to be your best bet, but be prepared to look hard for a job in California. I think the per-capita EMT rate there is out of this world.
I'm not far behind you Dana. I'm past the 15 year mark as of this March.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
The pay sucks as well. High 8's to low 9's an hour.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm not far behind you Dana. I'm past the 15 year mark as of this March.

I was kidding, anyway. I know for sure there are several people on here who've been doing it longer than I have. I'm happy to continue to learn from them.

Medicwannabe

Forum Ride Along
I'm actually in the same boat that Dave is (except I'm in chicago atm). Going on a ride along tomorrow morning haha.

I was kind of wondering the same kind of things. My understanding is that it is beneficial to work a few years as an EMT-B before moving on to paramedic training. I am wondering though, as an EMT-B are you pretty much stuck doing transport runs all the time?

Do EMT-Bs get a chance to respond to 911 calls, or is that something you'd expect more as a paramedic? Also, do private ambulance companies do more than transport patients?

Also, are there vision requirements for EMT's? I had a retinal detachment last year, my one eye is pretty screwed up (the other is 20/20 corrected). I am paranoid that this will disqualify me from even getting a job in this field.

Last edited by a moderator:

SincereGnome

Forum Ride Along
Like many have said a community college is probably your best bet. I went to Miramar college and loved it, awesome teaching and lots of equipment to use.

Yes Basic's will get to respond to 911 calls depending on the area. In San Diego I know rural/metro uses Basic/Paramedic trucks.

I am not sure about the vision requirement. You would probably have to contact the EMS entity in your area to find that out.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
I would definatly go the community college route...As said earlier, they have both day and night class which would work around your schedule.

IE: I was in a restaurant management position and managed to go to basic school M-F 9am-1pm and then worked 3 to close at the restaurant. Worked out well.

@ Medicwannabe:
EMT's can work 911 no problem. Those positions are a little harder to achieve since many that I know of in the area are run by fire/rescue and those guys arn't willing to leave anytime soon. The hiring process will be a little bit more intense than others, requiring written test, skills test, and oral interview. This is usually the job that all us EMT's want right out of the gate! Although depending on the agency, will be driving most of the time, and while on scene will be assisting medic.

Private agencies can do 911, but from what I understand it doesn't happen everyday. I think more of a back-up route if all other trucks in other agencies are "tied up" on other calls. Someone who does IFT please correct me if im wrong here.