Common Spanish EMS phrases?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Anyone have a nice document with common phrases an EMS provider would find use for when communicating with Spanish speaking patients?

I used to have some in my field booklet until it was stolen.

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy

stridor

Forum Ride Along
not to be a smart@ss but Habla inglese, the first one you should try. I started in with a guy and he just looks at me and says "Dude your spanish is horrible."

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
The phrasebooks are great, but what good will they do you if you do not understand the response to your question? There are courses taught at tech or community colleges which are very helpful. Look for a "Spanish for the healthcare provider" course. It will help you with the questions AND understanding the answers, but remember not all hispanics are speaking Spanish (Castillian) they may be speaking Portugese, etc... Sound similar to the untrained ear, but they aren't interchangeable. Think in terms of English as spoken in England, and English (however *******ized) in Brooklyn. The same language technically, but worlds apart linguistically.

About the best off the cuff Spanish I can toss to you is, "Donde dolor?" literally "Where is the pain?" but I prefer, "Un cerveza mas frio por favor."

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Summit, I stand w/ old school on that one. Take some classes or teach yourself, Spanish is fairly easy to grip and will be useful for a long time to come. Depending on how much of your pt population are Spanish speakers you could be fairly comfortable in a reasonble amount of time. Learning a another language is rewarding as well.

Egg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
Probaly 10% of the population here halban solamente espanol.

Yo hablo un poquito de espanol pero mis classes de espanol eran siete anos ago y no recuerdo mucho del vocabulario.

So what I"m looking for is a refresher to give me the vocab refresher so that I can learn as I converse. The clinic I work at has probably 75% primarily spanish speakers so I'll get practice. The more I study vocab on my own though, the faster I'll be able to progress in learning by conversing. islandgirl's link page has a lot of good stuff.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
try a book called "How to learn any language", not sure of the author right now. It has loads of good tips. I filled up my iPod w/ various language instruction courses as well.

Egg