Common (or uncommon) Disease Pathophysiologies?

Sugi

Forum Probie
Hey All,

So at my medic class, we are just entering the Medical module, and basically we were told "learn the pathophysiology of diseases". When asked what diseases, my instructor said "All of them. As many as you can possibly learn. A trained monkey can do trauma; medical calls are what medics are for. Study medical journals, talk to doctors, medics, read as much as you can and organize it. Anything is fair game in the field".

Great advice. But sooo hard to work with.

Does any one have some diseases they recommend I research the pathophysiology of? You dont have to give me it (though it would ofcoarse be appreciated :p ). I just want some ideas of things I should look up.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Infectious endocarditis could be a good one to start.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll go with Circulatory diseases, GI diseases, Endocrine diseases, Integumentary diseases, Musculo/skeletal diseases, Nervous diseases, Reproductive diseases, Respiratory diseases, and urinary/excretory diseases to start with. ^_^

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Hey All,

So at my medic class, we are just entering the Medical module, and basically we were told "learn the pathophysiology of diseases". When asked what diseases, my instructor said "All of them. As many as you can possibly learn..

In the last 2 years I have read Robins and Coltran Pathological Basis of Disease twice.

I highly recommend it when studying pathology. It is a little thicker than most EMS texts though and several times explains it could not possibly cover all the diseases known to man.

A trained monkey can do trauma.

I seriously dispute this statement and will point out that a critical care surgery residency and fellowship is more than double that of emergency medicine or internal medicine.

From the EMS perspective, the reason it seems overly simple is because in the time spent and the dogma preached, instructors often don't know how much they don't know about it.

All trauma is medical in nature. You cannot possibly be good at trauma without being exceptionally skilled in medicine.

If any trained monkey can do it, how did backboards remain in vogue so long?

medical calls are what medics are for. Study medical journals, talk to doctors, medics, read as much as you can and organize it. Anything is fair game in the field".

??? I keep getting told they are for transport to definitive care. On this very board in fact.

Maybe medical is what a medic should be for, but I will draw your attention to the current o2 therapy thread.

Does any one have some diseases they recommend I research the pathophysiology of? You dont have to give me it (though it would ofcoarse be appreciated :p ). I just want some ideas of things I should look up.

Rather than diseases, start with disease states like inflammation, how the immune system responds to various diseases, cellular mechanisms necrosis apoptosis, the physiology of shock state. Once you have mastered that, any disease you come upon will be easy to figure out even if you never heard of it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Sugi

Forum Probie
In the last 2 years I have read Robins and Coltran Pathological Basis of Disease twice.

I highly recommend it when studying pathology. It is a little thicker than most EMS texts though and several times explains it could not possibly cover all the diseases known to man.

I seriously dispute this statement and will point out that a critical care surgery residency and fellowship is more than double that of emergency medicine or internal medicine.

From the EMS perspective, the reason it seems overly simple is because in the time spent and the dogma preached, instructors often don't know how much they don't know about it.

All trauma is medical in nature. You cannot possibly be good at trauma without being exceptionally skilled in medicine.

If any trained monkey can do it, how did backboards remain in vogue so long?

??? I keep getting told they are for transport to definitive care. On this very board in fact.

Maybe medical is what a medic should be for, but I will draw your attention to the current o2 therapy thread.

Rather than diseases, start with disease states like inflammation, how the immune system responds to various diseases, cellular mechanisms necrosis apoptosis, the physiology of shock state. Once you have mastered that, any disease you come upon will be easy to figure out even if you never heard of it before.

In retrospect, I may have taken some of this out of context, though the words "trained monkey" were infact used to describe a provider whom tends to trauma :p I have several medic instructors, 2 or 3 are flight medics, one is a nurse practitioner, and one is a doctor. I'm not sure if that works to my advantage or disadvantage, but either way they are quite a wealth of knowledge, to say the least. But yeah, with that said, I think they may have taken some of what they said out of context.

Great info though. I LOVE the suggestion on learning the responses prior to the diseases. I'm totally going to take that and run with it. And I think I'm going to go buy that buy tonight.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant

cool.... just picked this up last month at a medical book sale at my local H for $1. B)

havent delved into er yet...