Combitube removed from EMTB NSTC???

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Thanks! Is this a 'bad' (for lack of a better word) thing (meeting RidRyder911) ?

No, meeting RidRyder911 on the forums can be good for the majority of the time.

He does not sugar-coat his posts but will definitely give you a straight forward answer or opinion. His posts are factually based from 30 years of education, knowledge and experience. The pride he still has as an EMS professional comes across clearly which is refreshing in a profession that has a high burn out rate.

I welcome a good debate with him but most of the time I do find myself agreeing with his comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thanks for the compliments. :blush:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Aw, Rid! I think you're blushing!

-Kat

disassociative

Forum Captain
I was watching Trauma: Life in the ER; and they were following Oklahoma Med Flight; I could've sworn I saw Rid, lol.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I was watching Trauma: Life in the ER; and they were following Oklahoma Med Flight; I could've sworn I saw Rid, lol.

Actually, I was in one of the episodes of that show. I was not with Medi Flight, but was with a flight crew that brought in a abdominal evisceration. The patient was a prisoner, and while enroute became hostile and I had to paralyze and RSI.

Ironically, my family and fellow peers have seen the episode, I myself have not yet seen it...lol

R/r 911

disassociative

Forum Captain
They came to Vandy; not too long ago. I was doing my clinicals with the TICU; and missed them by about a day. They came through and had everyone sign a whole bunch of consent forms along with the legal dept.

Wow Rid, Super-Nurse, Super-Medic and now Super-Star!

Can I have your autograph(particularly on a blank check made out to "cash")?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah Rid, now I have seen stars in my eyes.......^_^

jakobsmommy2004

Forum Crew Member
Wow. Eye opener. I know combitube is still being taught in WI. One wonders what other skills for all levels are used in some states or areas while not in others and why. I plan to do more research.

In the Detroit area here I work for a Private Ambulance and we have them on our BLS rigs.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
When I took my EMT - B class in the spring of 2004 the combitube was never part of what I was taught and I was also never tested on in either in the classes or the NR skills assessment.

Now when I went to take my local protocol test I WAS tested on it and our training officer had to show me how to use it. Our local protocol for 2008 will include the combitube again. And just for reference, I live in the Dayton, OH area. I have a friend of mine that lives in our neighboring state of Indiana and I'm told that basics are not allowed to intubate at all there.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a friend of mine that lives in our neighboring state of Indiana and I'm told that basics are not allowed to intubate at all there.

Basics in Indiana aren't allowed to intubate, but we are allowed to use the combitube. As far as I know, there hasn't been any talk about changing that.

-Kat

firecoins

IFT Puppet
When I took my EMT - B class in the spring of 2004 the combitube was never part of what I was taught and I was also never tested on in either in the classes or the NR skills assessment.

Now when I went to take my local protocol test I WAS tested on it and our training officer had to show me how to use it. Our local protocol for 2008 will include the combitube again. And just for reference, I live in the Dayton, OH area. I have a friend of mine that lives in our neighboring state of Indiana and I'm told that basics are not allowed to intubate at all there.

Intubation is an ALS skill in NY and NJ. Combitubes, King tubes and LMAs are ALS too.

mikie

Forum Lurker
In my EMT class we were also taught EOA's, but I've heard that they're not going to be used anymore pretty much...

anyone else have experiance/opinions on those?

haneyk

Forum Ride Along
I am a new EMT-B here in Minnesota. Our EMT-B class did teach the combitube but as a seperate variance certification. It was not a part of the normal EMT-B certification. We spent about 3 hours on it including training on annie dolls to practice the procedure. Our ambulance service is also working on training the EMT-B to do IV's as a seperate variance also. They have state signoff on this along with our medical director. We are in the rural area of Minnesota so resources and skills our limited to mostly volunteer EMT and paramedics.

Kevin

AntonioEMT

Forum Ride Along
Emt-i

EMT-I in italy are allowed to:

_Airways management...only "mayo canule oropharingee", not rhinofaringee.
intubation is a medic competence, "only medic".
We don't use combitube etc....

_Adrenaline, athropine, glucose 33%, NaCl 0.9%, ringers.....

_monitoration: Glucose level with glucometer. PaCO2, Sp02, Bp, F.C., E.C.G. 12 and Tele E.C.G, with lifepack 12.

_defibrillation: only AED....semi-manual end manual "only medic"

_vacuum splint, traction splint.

Extrication and immobilization techincs....similar of yours.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
we were taught the combitube in my basic class that i just finished. although as far as i know the protocols in my area dont allow basics to use them.

kiwimedic

Forum Probie
Us Kiwi's dont use dual lumen's but both OPA and LMA are EMT-B skills, ETT and surgicals are EMT-P.

RESPONDA

Forum Probie
curious

kiwimedic,

I am not too familiar with the comparisons between NZ qualification levels and those of the USA. Can you please explain the comparisons? for eg: emt-b is the equivalent to what level here in NZ?

Responda

kiwimedic

Forum Probie
Primary Care: EMT-Basic
Ambulance Officer: EMT-Basic or EMT-Basic with enhanced skills
Paramedic: EMT-Intermediate
Advanced Paramedc: EMT-Paramedic

Remember that because Ambulance Officers (National Certificate) can do nitro, glucose etc they are (in some jurisdictions) considered EMT Intermediate. Generally speaking an EMT-I can give ALS drugs and do EKG/manual defib, which here are Paramedic (IV/Cardiac) level interventions.

Not sure if the Wairarapa DHB uses the same levels and scopes of practice as the rest of the country but I would be interested to find out.