Colorado Springs Bucks ER Wait Time Trend

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
Americans are waiting longer in hospital emergency rooms to see physicians than they did a decade ago, statistics show, but Colorado Springs hospitals appear to be bucking that trend by streamlining how they see patients.

Patients immediately see a triage nurse; the idea is to get them to a bed as soon as possible, leaving the waiting room for family. And X-rays and other tests are often done before the doctor shows up.

link to this story http://www.emsresponder.com/features/article.jsp?id=8034&siteSection=24

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
??? This is how most ER's now function. I live in urban/rural area and the patient is now triaged in a room ( if not extremely busy) per a nurse and a cow (computer on wheels). The triage as well as all of the charting, medication ordering including an automatic screening of allergies and interactions (pt. home med.'s are placed into the system).

As well most of the initial tests are ordered as well as started way before a physician or extender sees them. U/A, x-rays, IV's, blood cultures, RT treatments are standard protocol for the ER nurses without physician authorization. All chest pain, SHoB of breath have standing orders and treatments as well.

I have not seen the old "usual" await until a physician sees ya.. in about 2 decades. I am sure there is still some old ways out there, but with JCAHO wanting increased patient satisfaction, ED systems had to change. If only EMS accreditation had more teeth...

R/r 911

OP
OP
Z

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
i guess we are behind the times here in colorado, all the hospitals i have been to use the wait until the doc can see you method , unless you are wheeled in by the ambulance.