Code 3 accidents

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone here witnessed an accident because of the craziness of people when you or another first responder unit was going code 3? Had one happen today as I was stopped at a red light with L+S going, with a critical patient in the back, waiting for cross traffic to stop. Motorcycle stops when he sees me and the car behind him wasn't paying that much attention to what was in front of them, slamming into the back of the bike at around 30mph, all while I watched! Rider got up, and driver of car got out and I went on my way, not much I could do either way, not my area, critical pt in back, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else has had crazy stuff happen to them while going code?

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
Nope, but color me unsurprised. People do some dumb sheit when they hear sirens. I am almost constantly amazed. I know the thought process isn't "what can I do to impede the progress of this emergency vehicle coming up behind me" but damned if it doesn't feel like it sometimes.

Call it in on the radio and keep on trucking.

OP
OP
avdrummerboy

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
About all I did aside from the other 10 or so people on scene who called it in, and we passed the other companies ambulance on the way to the TC on our way to the hospital!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been tboned lol. Guy had ear buds on to his ipod I was in middle of intersection doing about 5mph, he didn't hear or pay attention came through at 40mph in a 25mph zone residental he tried avoiding us but too late he went right into us lol.