Clue me in on AFib

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Here we use a beta blocker Afib with RVR.

I know, I know.
We have doc's in our hospital that use beta-blockers first line vice CCBs. You're not alone.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Supposedly cardizem is contraindicated of the pt is on metoprolol, which was one of the 12 or so meds she was on. I just don't remember the whole list.

I want to thank you all for responding, I am learning more and more the more y'all add to the discussion. Like I said, I'm just a basic with not even a year on the job.
Don't know about a contraindication. Just be aware that with both meds you could really slow them down. We have pts on Cardizem gtts and po Lopressor.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Probably goes without saying, but give Cardizem slowly.

The EDs here are starting to use Amiodarone as their first line therapy for RVR. Occasionally a BB gets used too, but it's mostly cardizem and amio. We can allegedly call for amio orders, but I am not holding my breath.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We have cardizem and we use it pretty frequently. Usually if we have an tach over 180-200, we can give adenosine, snap a 12lead and then give cardizem if we see that its afib while the rate is slowed temporarily. Anything over 140 we would start to consider it though with the brady we would probably withhold it.