Clinicals

EMT-B2B

Forum Crew Member
Can anyone tell me what the majority of the cliniclas will be like or what they consist of in the EMT-B school. I am getting ready to start the school on Jan. 23rd and would just like a heads-up on the clinicals, ie. how often, when, where, etc. Thanks a Ton!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I had to do one 12 hour clinical at the emergency room and it was done about two months into class.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Too many factors.

My school required 80 hours of clinical between ERs/Ambulances/Fire depts.

You could have a day where you don't rest at all (My ambulance ones) or you could go a whole day with only 3 calls (my Fire Dept. one).

You can have major trauma (especially when at the local level 1 trauma center) or you could have respiratory arrest.

Just keep in mind you're a student and there to learn and most people will be more then willing to teach you AND give you the 'fun' stuff.

My first clinical at a hospital, they had me bag a lady for over an hour for practice before CareFlight came.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Depends on where you are, I guess. We weren't required to do any clinical time to get our EMT-B here in PA.

Later!

--Coop

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Depends on where you are, I guess. We weren't required to do any clinical time to get our EMT-B here in PA.

Later!

--Coop

In which I do not understand how some states can do this? Even NHTSA requires 8 ED and 8 EMS. As well, we wonder why they don't understand some things.

R/r 911

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I did mine in a ED on Thursday and Friday nights from 11pm-6am. Great time slot for a student. I mostly took vitals, and it was really good practice. Take as man vitals as possible. When there was down time I followed a tech, and I got to see the cool things. I had a MVA victim come in, so got to see the trauma team assemble and work.

Just remember you are there to learn, don't be afraid to ask questions.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Rid: I hear you, but really... would sixteen hours make all that much of a difference?

Later!

--Coop

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Rid: I hear you, but really... would sixteen hours make all that much of a difference?

Later!

--Coop

16 is better then 8 is better then 0.

But always volunteer to do more... I was able to do 96 total even though only 80 was required..

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
In which I do not understand how some states can do this? Even NHTSA requires 8 ED and 8 EMS. As well, we wonder why they don't understand some things.

R/r 911

Hmm, do you have a link for me? I'd like to show my school. For EMT-B we didn't have any set number of hours but had to get 5 patient contacts on the ambulance. No ER time required but that might be because no hospitals in my area hire EMT-B's. If it's an NHTSA requirement though I'd say our school needs to change.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually field or ED clinicals are written in the NHTSA requirements. Unfortunately, states such as MA & PA can and have excluded them. Very shameful and is a good representation upon what they consider the EMT level to be.

This is one of the many reasons, the EMT level is not regarded to be very accountable. One cannot even say they have been on a EMS unit or seen a real patient. Even though most Basic clinicals are usually just exposure. Strange in comparison of some that requires 60 -100 hours (which is still negligible but better than nothing).

The suggested requirements are in the EMT and EMS instructor materials from NHTSA.

R/r 911

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well, considering most classes are 120-150 hours, I actually think 100 hours in clinicals is not too shabby since it almost doubles the time of the course.

Granted, some of you want the class longer to begin with, but you take what you can get.

I noticed that those in my class who didn't sign up for extra shifts failed the class. 45 started, 20 finished, of which statistically, 13 with get certified.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hmm, do you have a link for me? I'd like to show my school. For EMT-B we didn't have any set number of hours but had to get 5 patient contacts on the ambulance. No ER time required but that might be because no hospitals in my area hire EMT-B's. If it's an NHTSA requirement though I'd say our school needs to change.

Clinical/Field Rotations

In addition to the required 110 hours of instruction, this course requires that the student have patient interactions in a clinical setting. Ideally, areas that have access to an Emergency Medical Services system should send students into the field with experienced preceptors. However, in low volume systems or systems with legal considerations, the training program may utilize emergency departments, clinics, or physician offices. The program director or medical director must establish appropriate relationships with various clinical sites to assure adequate contact with patients.

The student should interview and assess a minimum of five patients. The student should record the patient history and assessment on a prehospital care report just as he would if he were interacting with this patient in a field setting. The prehospital care report should then be reviewed by the Primary Instructor to assure competent documentation practices in accordance with the minimum data set. Regardless of the clinical educational system, the program must establish a feedback system to assure that students have acted safely and professionally during their training. Students should be graded on this experience.

Students who have been reported to have difficulty in the clinical or field setting must receive remediation and redirection. Students should be required to repeat clinical or field setting experiences until they are deemed competent within the goals established by the Program Director.

In extreme cases, when students are not able to obtain experiences in a clinical or field setting, it may be necessary to utilize programmed patients. All variances must be approved by the state EMS office or licensing agency.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ems/pub/emtbnsc.doc

page 34

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Hm, my school doesn't require any clinicals for EMT-B/EMR. The closest we ever got to it was going to the EMT-I classroom and taking vitals on them.

OP
OP
EMT-B2B

EMT-B2B

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the replies! The way I understand it now is that my school requires the clinicals to be split between the ER, FD, and EMS. Im not sure on the schedule or how often. Guess Ill find out when I get there.

artman17847

Forum Crew Member

Later!

--Coop

That's odd? I took my EMT-B in 87' at MCP (Medical College of Pa.) in Phila. and had to do 16 hrs in the ER.

The ER was quite busy. I remember the PFD brought in a burn pt and his shirt was still smoldering!!!

RULE #1 STOP THE BURNING PROCESS!!!!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I get 10 hours at Harborview for my observation time. That will be an interesting experience.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

I was required to do 10 hours in the ER and ERs don't hire in my area. It had more to do with the fact that is where we bring patients. Its good to know how an ER operates.