chicago fire department, FDNY EMS

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
hey everybody... i was wondering if anybody works for or knows anything about getting hired as a paramedic (single role) for the chicago fire department, as well as for FDNY EMS.... i know that FDNY EMS gets paid horribly and i know that CFD paramedics have a quick burn out rate, actually they both do... i am pretty sure of the process for FDNY because their website is very informative, but Chicago's is definitely not! does any body know the amount of times chicago opens up the application list for paramedic... (once a year, every three years etc.)

also if anybody knows what is it like to work for either of those agencies? does FDNY have ambulance stations? CFD? how do paramedics get treated. what is the salary for a CFD medic? what are the requirements to get hired in CFD/FDNY

thanks

greg

OP
OP
HNcorpsman

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
actually i already went to that website and researched before i posted, and it did not answer most of my questions. i am mainly looking for info on the process to get hired as a paramedic to CHICAGO.... and am looking for any one who works for either CFD/FDNY on what it is like to work for those agencies...

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Call me a pessimist, but I have a bad feeling that there are more likely going to be layoffs at those organizations than hirings. The Navy might be a good gig to keep for a bit. Just my opinion.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am applying to the FDNY right now. I took my medic program in NYC

Are you looking to work 911 in NYC?

The FDNY EMS is not the only organization who respongs to NYC 911 calls. The FDNY contracts out to hospitals. Some of these hospitals contract out to commercial companies.

The "voluntary" hospital is a a hospital that is awarded the right to run BLS and ALS ambulances that are dispatched by FDNY EMS to 911 emergencies. The paramedic get paid more money than FDNY medics. St. Vincents Medical Center runs 2 ALS and 2 BLS ambulances and its where I did my paramedic rotations. If you are experienced, you can apply, get hired.

Transcare runs ambulances for NYU, Mount Sinai, Montifiore, Beth Israel and a bunch of others. Transcare is always looking for medics. If your inexperienced in doing 911 calls, Transcare will have you do transports for 6 months. This is not a bad deal because the whole FDNY process takes alot longer than 6 months. You will make about the same amount of money as a FDNY medic.

OP
OP
HNcorpsman

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
if i were to work in NYC i would want to work for FDNY, i know call me crazy, but i have my reasons.

but ultimately i want to work for CFD as a medic... my only concern is the burn out rate... honestly i would like to work and retire as a CFD paramedic single role... im not sure if its possible but i would like to try.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Your crazy!

There is nothing like the retirment plan of a civil service worker I suppose.

Just realize if you do apply for FDNY, you must have taken the NYC Remac exam. This means you must already have the NYS Medic cert which means employment or residency. You will probably start at Transcare or some other commercial agency for the 6 month process of applying to FDNY.

I know nothing about Chicago.