catheter check

joeboo

Forum Probie
Ever heard of EMT's moving a patient and forgetting to check for a foly? ouch!:eek:

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
Helped transfer a 98 year old woman with contractures from the EMS gurney to the ED gurney and the crew forgot she had a foley and forgot. The poor lady ended up with a very bad tear. I've never felt so bad, she screamed out really loud in pain. It was a simple mistake to make, but with some very poor results.

Soco_and_Lime

Forum Probie
Caths, g-tubes, lines. I always do a complete once over before I move the patient. I almost had the OP situation happen to me, and I've been cautious of it ever since

OP
OP
J

joeboo

Forum Probie
Thanks for the story Magictyler. Man I sure had a close call with moving someone with the foly securely fastened to the bed. Whoops. Now I check twice.
One other time I left a patient on main O2 and started to pull the her out of the ambulance. She was so pissed! Nothing happened with that either. thank goodness.
I've been doing this for only 2 and a half months, so I hope most of my idiotic mistakes are out of the way. But I also know that screw ups happen in this business....I guess I just want to minimize them...thanks againB)

supergirl534

Forum Probie
at my paid job i only work out of nursing homes i.e. i work with a lot elderly pts and most of them have floeys its one thin you always look for. i have done the same thing and i felt terriable but i felt even worse when i watched a psych pt rip out his own floey...... i was so glad i was NOT the emt in charge on that one lol.

i had all the same little hiccups when i fist started...... they will work themselfs out this is how we learn. Good luck and keep it up!!