Cardizem reconsitute?

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I was hoping to get some opinions here from those who have quite a bit more knowledge than me on this matter.

The company I work for has been ordered by the state to put cardizem in all the ALS trucks. The formulary calls for 50mg prefilled vials. However since Dilt requires refrigeration (and they don't want to spend the money) they've placed 100mg reconstitutionable vials instead and claims they've spoken to the state and are in "discussions".

Now my concern is this. Protocol calls for straight bolusing followed by maintenance infusions as needed. The drug packaging says "for continuous infusion, not for bolus" or to that effect.

They're telling us we reconstitute it in a 100cc bag of saline and can draw our boluses from that bag. Part of me says it's simply creating an admixture, but part of me worries theres something about it that makes it safe only at a slow drip as opposed to a slug of 20mg +/-

The other concern is the reconstitute contains mannitol-- I believe it's 75mg but I could be mistaken. All I know about mannitol is that it's a sugar complex and that it absorbs poorly thus limiting its glycemic properties. But I don't know enough about it to be comfortable pushing it without finding out more. Is it necrotic like dextrose if it infiltrates? How about other concerns at that dose?

Is this an acceptable practice? Or is this us being set up to get called in front of an inquiry?

I appreciate any guidance you can provide. I don't want to make a stink if this is simply a practice I am not familiar with. But likewise I do if it's risking us being sanctioned because of our company.

Thank you for any knowledge and guidance you can provide.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Im not familiar with that type of cardizem.

Cardizem is good for 30 days out of refrigeration. Even a cooler with a couple ice packs will do the trick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I am not advertising for anybody so I do apologize if this is not allowed but I figured a picture could be helpful. Lord knows we all know the "doohickeywhatchamacallit" when we see it occasionally! Haha.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.PNG
    IMG_0659.PNG
    480.9 KB · Views: 420

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I was hoping to get some opinions here from those who have quite a bit more knowledge than me on this matter.

The company I work for has been ordered by the state to put cardizem in all the ALS trucks. The formulary calls for 50mg prefilled vials. However since Dilt requires refrigeration (and they don't want to spend the money) they've placed 100mg reconstitutionable vials instead and claims they've spoken to the state and are in "discussions".

Now my concern is this. Protocol calls for straight bolusing followed by maintenance infusions as needed. The drug packaging says "for continuous infusion, not for bolus" or to that effect.

They're telling us we reconstitute it in a 100cc bag of saline and can draw our boluses from that bag. Part of me says it's simply creating an admixture, but part of me worries theres something about it that makes it safe only at a slow drip as opposed to a slug of 20mg +/-

The other concern is the reconstitute contains mannitol-- I believe it's 75mg but I could be mistaken. All I know about mannitol is that it's a sugar complex and that it absorbs poorly thus limiting its glycemic properties. But I don't know enough about it to be comfortable pushing it without finding out more. Is it necrotic like dextrose if it infiltrates? How about other concerns at that dose?

Is this an acceptable practice? QUOTE]

There isn't anything wrong with that plan. The warning about bolusing is because there are vials that do contain a bolus dose and they want to make sure folks don't get confused. The mannitol is there to make the compound more soluble in solution. It's used that way in other preparations as well. The amount of mannitol (in far larger doses, it is used as an osmotic diuretic) getting to the patient after 10 or 20 mg of that solution is negligible.

Don't worry about it and just make sure everything gets very well labeled .

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
We carried that formulation of cardizem for quite some time. It worked fine I guess. It took extra time to mix it up and draw from the bag, and you ended up throwing away the majority of it; but beyond that it was fine. It became difficult for us to get in that formulation, so we went to 30 day vials which I prefer.

At the end of the day, I don't pay the bills and I'm not nieve enough to think that the money saved by using reconstituted cardizem would be returned to the medics in the form of a cash bonus; so I basically dont care either way. Just make sure I have cardizem on my truck and if you're going to do weird stuff with the packaging or concentration, send me an email. Ill get it done from there.

OP
OP
R

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
We carried that formulation of cardizem for quite some time. It worked fine I guess. It took extra time to mix it up and draw from the bag, and you ended up throwing away the majority of it; but beyond that it was fine. It became difficult for us to get in that formulation, so we went to 30 day vials which I prefer.

At the end of the day, I don't pay the bills and I'm not nieve enough to think that the money saved by using reconstituted cardizem would be returned to the medics in the form of a cash bonus; so I basically dont care either way. Just make sure I have cardizem on my truck and if you're going to do weird stuff with the packaging or concentration, send me an email. Ill get it done from there.

That's exactly it. I'll be honest as long as my paycheck clears that's as far as I'm concerned about the company.

That said when they start playing with meds I get worried about a) it affecting my patients and b) the negative effects winding either my coworkers or I front of an OEMS disciplinary board.

These companies...if they could get away with it would tell us to hang Poland Springs bottles instead of saline just to save a buck....

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
We used pre-attached cardizem/saline that had to be reconstituted for a drip and then bolused out of the bag. No issues

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
When we had the reconstituted powder+saline combo I wished for the vials for simplicity. Then we got the vials and it just meant going to the pharmacy more often to replace expired meds (no fridge) :oops:

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
The exchange doesn't bother me much. My resource hospital is in town, and we get our meds from the ER Pyxis. No sweat, especially given that theres a better than even chance I'll end up giving something everyday anyway. Furthermore, i relieve an anal retentive bandaid counter both days I work, so I very rarely do exchanges because he'll do them a week early anyway.