Cardioversion

caroline_f2002

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I found this website on a search engine. I am having a cardioversion for an irregular heartbeat. I was told it is safe and I believe it, but am still a little nervous. I am almost 30 and female. Have any of you ever had to cardiovert any younger ladies like me? I am not a medic. I was told more younger people where having rhythm problems. What should I expect when I have the cardioversion? It's okay to give details because I like knowing beforehand.

Look forward to reading the posts or your emails.

Caroline

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I cardioverted a woman your age, with two small children, in a cardiac care unit at a local hospital during one of my rotations. I can tell you what happened then - it is similar to what we do on the ambulance but it is usually a bit calmer (since it needs to be done, but is less of an emergency when it is scheduled by a doctor).

The patient was on a heart monitor. An anesthesiologist spoke to her about any allergies or prior experiences with anesthesia. He then put her to sleep with a very light does of anesthesia. The cardiologist then used the defibrulator to shock her heart (the same way you see it on TV when someone's having a heart attack, but with less electricity). Typically they will use between 50 and 100 joules of energy, which is considerably lower than the 200 - 360 joules that are used for someone having a heart attack. The electricity "resets" the heart in a way - it lets the correct part of the heart take over the beat at its own rate. Then the patient was woken up out of the anesthesia, and she said she felt fine.

You may have some irritation where the electricity entered your body, and you may feel a bit groggy from the anesthesia, but otherwise you should feel fine when it is done.

Best of luck to you, I hope I have answered your questions. When performed in a hospital, this is a very calm, controlled procedure, and has great success rates.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I agree with rescuecpt on the steps and the procedure. only thing I can think of adding is they use those adhesive patches as to the paddels (at least in this area). And when your woken from the anesthesia you can be groggy, I also want to say that for some there is the chance for nausea afterwards also:glare: The people I have seen have it done their only complaint is of a light burn to the area where the electricity goes into the body from the patch. But is usually just a very mild burn that itches.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I routinely do this at least weekly either in CCU/ER or prehospital setting. Usually this is for people who experience atrial fibrillation (irregular heart beat) or supraventricular tachycardia (SVT= fast heart beat). Both are common conditions.

First let me reassure although this is something new and frightening to you (understandable), it is really a routine procedure. As others describe usually you are presedated although I have never seen surgical grade anesthesia for the procedure. Since this procedure is simplistic, anti-anxiety medication and sedative such as Versed and the other possible is Valium, they will usually be administered by the nurse or physician through an IV. In a few seconds or minutes you will feel sleepy and then the procedure will be attempted after a point of sedation occurs.

Your nurse/physician will explain each procedure before it is attempted.

Usually they will have you not eat anything for approx. 12 hr before the procedure.

Have another person available to drive you home after the procedure.

One might want to bring an "overnight" change clothes although it will be very unlikely you will stay. I inform all my patients this in case I admit them for observation.

The procedure is short < 30 seconds long. However; you will probably be monitored afterwards up to maybe 2- 3 hours, due to anesthesia and be sure there is no heart irritability. So you will be attached to a heart monitor for a while to be sure everything is okay.You might be sore or have some mild to moderate discomfort afterwards. Your physician may recommend Ibuprofen or similar non-steroid inflammatory medication (NSAID) for pain relief afterwards.

The nice thing of utilizing the medication Versed is that it has an amnesic qualities so one "forgets" the procedure about 90% of the time.
The procedure is usually > 98% effective and usually does not have to be re-performed in this session. I

If you have any other concerns be sure to ask the staff and I am sure they will attempt to answer any of your questions and concerns.

I wish you the best of luck and good health.

R/r 911

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
I cardioverted a few patients in the ambulance. Since you are going for a scheduled cardioversion you will be given medication to sedate you. 99% of the time the medication will cause some retrograde amnesia. You probably not remember the entire procedure and what you do will seem some what surreal according to the patients I have seen cardioverted. None of the patients could remember the "shock".

The first patient I ever cardioverted only got valium prior to shocking him. It was the only thing we carried at the time for sedation. He was awake for the procedure but on arrival at the hospital 15 minutes later he didn't believe I shocked him. He didn't remember it at all. He was sucessfully converted to a normal sinus rythm.