Capnography

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Just curious how many providers utilize capnography during their assessment on a regular basis. I know most are required to use it for the intubated patient, but how many use it on medical and trauma patients?

I have noticed that many providers don't seem to use it and it kinda baffles me given the information it tells about your patients ventilation and perfusion status.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Just curious how many providers utilize capnography during their assessment on a regular basis. I know most are required to use it for the intubated patient, but how many use it on medical and trauma patients?

I have noticed that many providers don't seem to use it and it kinda baffles me given the information it tells about your patients ventilation and perfusion status.

Air and ground, I use it on every patient I transport.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'd use it on every pt who has any S&S of respiratory compromise... though I assume that's a given.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I use it on those that I am concerned with Co2 entrapment, DKA, etc.. and sideline of course for intubations. More than that we closely monitor the waveform and numbers as it is just an assessment tool.

R/r 911

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
It is a fairly new tool to our division, so everyone still uses those ETCO2 detectors that turn yellow. I've only heard of a few medic's who said they used it and amazed the Doc's when they brought the person in. I'm still an EMT going thought medic school. :sad:

Also, it can be used on BVM patient's, because sometimes, it hard to get a good seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

austinmedic77

Forum Crew Member
It should be included as a sixth vital sign: resp, HR, BP, SpO2, EtCO2, and BGL. You have the tools use them as part of your assessment. While diagnostics should never replace a solid hands on assessment they are a valid tool in that assessment and your working diagnosis. EtCO2 can be a valuable tool to spot abnormalities in perfusion that may not be noticed otherwise until you are way behind the curve. Just my $0.02.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
In addition, altered level of consciousness, seizures, drug overdoses, and medication administration. Just off the top of my head. I use the hell out of it, and I'm sure I use it for other conditions as well.

It's a fantastic assessment tool, however like all things, it does have limitations. There was a study done on it's effectiveness in trauma, especially in the presence of chest and head trauma. I'll have to find the link. It was a great read, and outlined some of the instances where it may not be as reliable as we have been taught.

That being said, it is still one of my favorite patient monitoring tools, right behind trending 12-leads.