Canadian Reciprocity???

JMillard

Forum Ride Along
What must be done to receive Canadian reciprocity for paramedics? My friend is going through medic school in TX, but he lives in Calgary. He will take the National Registry.
Any advice? Can it be done? how?

-Jarred

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you are interested in Nova Scotia and are a paramedic you can challenge our provincial test. If you go here "http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/ehs/paramedics/policies.asp" There is some information on registration here in Nova Scotia. There is also a list of essential competancies and an application form. You can use these to compare your level of training and practice to what is required here. If you think your current training etc. is similar to ours you can ask your medical director to sign off on it. Then you can send it to our medical director for an evaluation. If he accepts it as being comparable then you would be registered at the appropriate level.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It looks like the 624 hours of training required to be a Paramedic in TX might qualify one for the EMR.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
It looks like the 624 hours of training required to be a Paramedic in TX might qualify one for the EMR.

I was wondering when somebody would bring that up.

Seems more than sufficent training to drive an F350 out onto the Stemmons Freeway and to Parkland.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
624 hrs??? WOW thats not much. Kinda pales in comparison to the thousands of hours required to get your PCP and then your ACP here.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Please keep in mind MOST (but not all) programs in Texas far exceed 624 hours. This state is not as backward as many make it out to be.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Please keep in mind MOST (but not all) programs in Texas far exceed 624 hours. This state is not as backward as many make it out to be.

I have seen some good Paramedics (what we call Intensive Care) come out of the community colleges in Dallas, Travis County etc

Of course the Houston Fire Department sends thier guys to a 12 week school in Bryant last I heard .....

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I just noticed this on the EMR link:

Bibliography listing of the texts used as well as copies of all printed resource material (eg. Bibliography; Egan; Fundamentals of Respiratory Therapy,

A 1200 page RT text book is one of the recommendations for EMR? You mean they might actually know how the O2 device works and why? Now that is impressive.