Canadian College of EMS

Cholo

Forum Ride Along
Hi All, Here is a sad but true story of my experience in the last week.
I was registered to take my EMT with the Canadian College of EMS starting on Monday. They called me on Tuesday (the week before the program is supposed to start) and informed the course was not going to run because the lost their accreditation with ACP....
This has really left me high and dry, I am down $1000.00, a uniform as well as all my textbooks that I can not use anymore. I am told by the secretary that cut backs are happening daily there and she does not even know if her job is safe. I feel right now that if I see a penny back I will be lucky. Just wanted to warn people as well as figure out if anyone on here was supposed to take the program (it was a full class of approx 18 students).
Any feedback or opinions would be great. Again the school is the Canadian College of EMS also know as CCOEMS. The guy who apparently runs the show and is know where to be found (secretary's words) is Greg Clarkes. Talk about a nightmare, and apparently he is the Canadian Coordinator of NAEMT.....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Cholo

Forum Ride Along
I was registered to take my EMT with the Canadian College of EMS starting on Monday. They called me on Tuesday (the week before the program is supposed to start) and informed the course was not going to run because the lost their accreditation with ACP....
This has really left me high and dry, I am down $1000.00, a uniform as well as all my textbooks that I can not use anymore. I am told by the secretary that cut backs are happening daily there and she does not even know if her job is safe. I feel right now that if I see a penny back I will be lucky. Just wanted to warn people as well as figure out if anyone on here was supposed to take the program (it was a full class of approx 18 students).
Any feedback or opinions would be great. Again the school is the Canadian College of EMS also know as CCOEMS. The guy who apparently runs the show and is know where to be found (secretary's words) is Greg Clarkes. Talk about a nightmare, and apparently he is the Canadian Coordinator of NAEMT.....

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry to hear that. Check with your provincial Dept of Education, as I believe all private carreer colleges in Canada have to post insurance(or a bond or something) so that students do not get left high and dry if a college goes under. Also ceck and see what the colleges policies are for courses that do not run. File what ever paperwork is necessary for a refund,(keep a copy of everything). Even if the college were to go under you should be able to get your $1000.00 back, though it may take awhile. Check with other students so you can pool information. Unfortunatly you will have to apply to another school which may not have an intake until next year.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I know it's hard to see it, but there is a bright side. Had you started the program and paid full tuition and it lost its accreditation you'd be further along and high and dry. Or had it lost it's accreditation as you were graduating you would have just completed an education at an obviously faulty program and be out money, holding a tainted diploma and worried about whether you're truly prepared to work.

Do what you can to get your money back. With luck many of the textbooks will be used in another program, otherwise they just become a good resource to keep on your bookshelf.

Go find an accredited program. Look around and see if you can even find one that is part of a larger institution or partners with one and you may be able find a program that can give you transfer credits towards University for later education.

Obviously it would have been WAY better if you'd found out before it was last minute and you were out all that money, but it could have been way worse too. (Have heard of it happening to schools just as they were about to turn out a graduating class)

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
How did you pay? If by credit card then reverse the charge. If by check then talk to the bank about reversing it. Check with the government about a bond they may have had to produce.

Probi

Forum Probie
I went to this school as well. not only did we not recieve skill books during our course, but also missed out on the adv. vehicle driving BOTH of which we need as an EMT to work and both of which I PAYED FOR IN MY TUITION! neways. Greg is a funny guy, its to bad his school sucks so bad. Our teacher even went on like a 1.5 week vacation right before our trauma exam which really hurt us i believe. Neways! theres always Nait/Sait/ Anywhere but CC of EMS lol. This job is worth the trouble.

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
I went to this school as well. not only did we not recieve skill books during our course, but also missed out on the adv. vehicle driving BOTH of which we need as an EMT to work and both of which I PAYED FOR IN MY TUITION! neways. Greg is a funny guy, its to bad his school sucks so bad. Our teacher even went on like a 1.5 week vacation right before our trauma exam which really hurt us i believe. Neways! theres always Nait/Sait/ Anywhere but CC of EMS lol. This job is worth the trouble.

ADV vehicle driving needed to work? Never heard of that one before....Thought it was just a class 4

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Sounds like the school will refund your money. This from their website.

Notice!

Effective 05 October 2010: The Canadian College of EMS will no longer be offering EMR and EMT programmes. Due to evolving requirements of accreditation, we have ceased to offer these two programmes. All courses that were scheduled for 12 October 2010 have been cancelled. We have contacted all registered students, and will begin the process of writing formal letters of cancellation in accordance with Alberta Provincial Legislation. We will also begin the process of refunding any fees received. Details will be provided in the letters. Please email if you have any questions, or if you would like to verify your mailing and contact information with us to: info@ccofems.org

We sincerely apologise for any difficulties this has caused.

Probi

Forum Probie
ADV vehicle driving needed to work? Never heard of that one before....Thought it was just a class 4

ya ur right just class 4's... but it would of been cool! and i payed for it. so... i want it :n)

So now the question remains for poor cholo, where can he find a new school? This is probably for the best Cholo theres better schools out there, where youll learn much, much more. I hear ESA gives you a PDA loaded with the EMT course power points. But that could just be propaganda ;)

skivail

Forum Crew Member
When selecting any EMT/PCP program to take here in Canada go to the Canadian Medical Association web sitv to chec if the program is accredited by them.
http://www.cma.ca/index.php?ci_id=50602&la_id=1

I did a lot of research before I chose a school and after a lot of time spent on the phone with school, services and governing bodies in several provinces. The final result was the realization that, in regards to Paramedic education, the CMA means nothing any more. The labor mobility act that recently passed has resolved all of the issues that used to be present. I was not able to find a single benefit to going to a CMA accredited school.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I did a lot of research before I chose a school and after a lot of time spent on the phone with school, services and governing bodies in several provinces. The final result was the realization that, in regards to Paramedic education, the CMA means nothing any more. The labor mobility act that recently passed has resolved all of the issues that used to be present. I was not able to find a single benefit to going to a CMA accredited school.

There still may be a problem if you want to upgrade to ACP from PCP the ACP program may require that the PCP course be CMA accredited.

skivail

Forum Crew Member
There still may be a problem if you want to upgrade to ACP from PCP the ACP program may require that the PCP course be CMA accredited.

Possibly in other provinces. Several of the ACP programs in Ontario are delivered at collages that are not CMA accredited. It would seem a little hypocritical, however I have not been able to find written evidence either way. Even ORNGE is not CMA accredited.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

You're right. Actually it's the AIT the agreement on internal trade. The Labour Mobility Act is actually legislation passed by the Ont Govt. Under the AIT You could move to Alberta if you so desired. You would still have to write the ACoP exams and upon passing since you will be a PCP in Ont you would be eligible to be licenced as a EMT in Alberta. To be eligible to be registered as EMT-P in Alberta you would have to be registered as a ACP.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Even ORNGE is not CMA accredited.

ORNGE is in fact CMA accredited. ORNGE has a 6 yr accreditation which is the highest CMA gives. The accreditation expires Jan 31, 2012. As well ORNGE is the only Critical Care Paramedic program in Canada that has CMA accreditation. I checked to listing of accredited programs and that is what I discovered.

http://www.cma.ca/index.php?ci_id=50602&la_id=1

GClarkes

Forum Ride Along
Good afternoon: as the President of CCEMS I am concerned about this thread and how information can get confused along the way. Let me answer some concerns in point form:
1. We are not going out of business as we provide other training and services. 2. All those folks who have paid tuitions and deposits will receive refunds in accordance with Alberta provincial training guidelines which stipulate 30 days from date of written notification. 3. We voluntary removed our own accreditation from the list for both EMR and EMT. This was done as the ever changing requirements and demands from the Alberta health disciplines board, and the content expert, the Alberta college of paramedics, has made this process very difficult for a non-governmental school to function with limited staff, no provincial funding, and this provincial movement towards government run ambulances.
That being said, every student that was waiting for a programme has been notified in writing and by phone. No one is more disappointed about this difficulty than I. I started this school in 1988, and being the first private school approved in Alberta, well, this is a real shock. To discredit me personally is one thing, but to question the education and training of our recent grads and alumni based on rumor is unfair, and unprofessional to our trade.
Please note that my staff are working diligently to see that current students on Practicum are taken care of, and know that all current students are recognized to seek provincial registration and testing with the ACP. This is a fact, and only those whom we cancelled on are affected.
Once again, my sincere apologies for the current situation, and know that we are working very hard to remedy this situation. Feel free to email me directly should you have any further questions or concerns.

John (Greg) Clarkes, President & Owner since 1988.

GClarkes

Forum Ride Along
Good afternoon: you certainly have some strong feelings about this situation. I apologise about the cancellation of the programme. I am available anytime via email at: [I]**removed**[/I] I am traveling a great deal providing training across Canada and the USA. I cannot confirm the nightmare status, but am available anytime you wish to mail me. I have been in this field for a long time now, and have dedicated my Life to it like many others.
Other than my sincere apologies and your refund, I truly hope that you find another school that will accommodate your training as an EMT.

John (Greg) Clarkes, President/Owner since 1988.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Duplicate threads merged.