Can you help me out?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Hi all,

Most of you are aware of my passion. I am trying to be the advocate for EMS safety in the field. It is just my area of expertise happens to be defensive tactics, situational awareness and escape.

The NAEMT reported that 52% of all EMS providers have been assaulted in the field. They also threw out a bunch of other numbers, but ASSUALT was the number one cause of injury. It was even higher than back injury ,infectious disease exposure etc.

The problem I have with all of this is simple. When providers are getting assaulted (regardless of the level) it rarely makes the news. Maybe a local paper says something about it but that's it.

Many states have enacted new and improved laws to help protect the provider, but very rarely are they used.

Another problem is the strong sense of duty we have in EMS. Becaue of that a lot of assaults go unreported period. Please don't confuse a little scratch from a NH patient or a 5 year old Autistic kid as assault. But a drunk punching a medic in the face and breaking his glasses is an assault.

What I am asking for is this:

If you have an incident locally could you please tell me about it. Even if it happened to you, your partner or you saw it on the news....whatever I can use the info.

I would love to have in in an email to kip@dt4ems.net if possible.

Most of you that have done your research on ME know that I don't do this for money. I would love to make it a career someday, or at the very least have it pay for itself but the truth is I have lost a lot financially trying to do what I believed was right.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Kip

Last edited by a moderator: