Can I get help from someone?!?

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
I feel really bad for having to post this up on a different forum within this same site...but I really need help.

My date for the NREMT is on January 10th since the Holidays have decided to make themselves present. LOL. That means I have roughly 2 weeks to study.

I need help! I figured I'd study 3 chapters a night, but I know that NREMT tests on stuff even the books don't cover.

I have flashcards of each chapter, but there are a LOT.

Can anyone give me some techniques on how I can make the studying less strenuous on my brain by having some type of strategy?

Thank you! I really hope to hear from some people. I apologize if there are other posts about this. I just didn't find group sessions to be beneficial.

~Kris

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
Learning is a very individual type thing. We all learn in different ways.

I think it would be best for you to apply what has worked for you in the past.

Do you feel confident in what you have learned? If so you should be ok.

Study your weakest areas first and try to enlist the help of a friend or family to quiz you.

I'am a visual learner so flash cards are helpful to me.

#1 thing stay 100% positive!! If you want it bad enough you WILL pass.

Good luck!

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
if you have flash cards made up get someone to quiz you and quiz you again. have it at random and have them assist you with the answers at first until you have done it enough timess that you can answer them all of by heart. You may think it impossible at first but it does work and you will be surprised at how much you retain

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I’m not an expert on mass quantity studying but when iv had short time to study for allot is speed read threw a chapter and write a summery on what you read and then a mind map or specific details about what you have not studied. Glimpse at your flash cards and cut down the stuff you know and concentrate on what you don’t know.

Obviously you wont get the rite amount of detail because you have to raush.

Rember the basics.

Here is a site try reading it.
http://www.adprima.com/studyout.htm

Good luck and hope this helps.

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
Learning is a very individual type thing. We all learn in different ways.

I think it would be best for you to apply what has worked for you in the past.

Do you feel confident in what you have learned? If so you should be ok.

Study your weakest areas first and try to enlist the help of a friend or family to quiz you.

I'am a visual learner so flash cards are helpful to me.

#1 thing stay 100% positive!! If you want it bad enough you WILL pass.

Good luck!

I definitely feel confident in what I learned but I didn't ace my final. I passed all my skills...I got props from my proctors on how thorough I was. I got an 81% on my FINAL class exam. To me, its better than how I did on my midterm, but I want to do better! I plan on going over that first and asking my other friends how they got the answers they did.

I learn very much by flashcards. It was all scenarios for our final exam. But I knew so much 'bout EMS, it was crazy! I have tests that are structured around National Registry, which I quizzed myself on for my final.

I'm open to any books that I need, maybe study techniques. I read the summary of the chapter, went through my flashcards a couple of times, then onto the next chapter. After 3 or 4 chapters, I did a quiz covering those chapters. That was very time consuming. I even listened to Brady's audio lectures. Still, I only got an 81% on my final.

Do you even get tested on anatomy or definitions of things or whatnot? Or is it all scenarios on NREMT?

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
if you have flash cards made up get someone to quiz you and quiz you again. have it at random and have them assist you with the answers at first until you have done it enough timess that you can answer them all of by heart. You may think it impossible at first but it does work and you will be surprised at how much you retain

I have a whole shoe box filled with flashcards from all the chapters in Brady's book. I have them separated by chapter. If I took them off the rings, I don't know how long it would take me to get through them.

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
That is a problem. Well the only way is to put aside the chapters you know, focus on wat you dont know and then revise it all, just a skim read know wat your dealing with.

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
That is a problem. Well the only way is to put aside the chapters you know, focus on wat you dont know and then revise it all, just a skim read know wat your dealing with.

Environmental is my weakest part. That chapter was so huge. I know what to do for allergic reaction, snake bites and insect bites.

Obstretrics is awesome! I know that in and out. Cardiac...I know it pretty well, also. Trauma assessment, I know well, too. I know what exams to do for what type of patient I have. Also my entire skill sheet for it.

But that whole heat exposure and heat stroke...I get thrown on what the patient looks like. I knew that for exposure, the skin was cool, vs. heat stroke where its high b/c the body can no longer regulate the temperature...but I still got it wrong on my final.

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Well now you know exactly wat to work on. Also remeber the small things you can over look.

Realize why heat exhaustion occurs. You can tell if a person has heat exhaustion if she shows a marked improvement after drinking a small amount of fluids and being in the shade. A person who is not used to the heat is prone to this type of exhaustion.
Understand how the body normally cools down. When the temperature climbs, the body cools itself through evaporation of sweat. A heat stroke victim might be dry since this routine process breaks down and does not function properly.
Learn about electrolytes. This is a combination of fluids and salts in the body. When electrolytes are lost and fluids are not replaced this disrupts the circulatory system of the body. This is a common cause of heat exhaustion. Ingesting a sports drink can help.
During heat stroke the body is further along in the overheating process than when exhausted. It becomes harder to replenish fluids and cool down.
Learn the Difference Between the Conditions
Look for the quick occurrence of heat stroke. It comes on faster than heat exhaustion and has more extreme consequences and symptoms such as dry mouth, gaunt appearance and vomiting.
Monitor a rise in body temperature. This can help you distinguish the two conditions. If a victim's temperature is 103 degrees F or above, it's at a heat stroke level.
Evaluate the potential heat stroke victim. Determine if the person is coherent. When experiencing heat exhaustion a patient is conscious, just overheated. With the onset of heat stroke, a person can have mild hallucinations or show signs of mental incapacity.
Ask questions. Determine if a person is experiencing heat stroke rather than exhaustion. Heart patients on a low-sodium diet can suffer heat stroke because they lose important body fluids containing salt. Taking certain medications can also contribute to heat stroke.

Source http://www.ehow.com/how_2048191_tell-difference-between-heat-stroke.html

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, that's a good idea. Very good idea.

See on my test, they asked us what the vital signs would be for a 16 y/o football player in the hot, humid day, who complained of dizziness and weakness after playing football for an hour or so.

See, my guess was slow pulse, low bp and cool & dry skin.

I know that for heat exhaustion, they have cool skin.

Supposively the answer was rapid pulse, low bp, and hot & dry skin.

I guess I just didn't see the guy being a candidate for a heatstroke? Oh I don't know, lol.

I'll definitely go through your list, though, and answer each part, so I understand the differences. :)

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Cool best of luck. Let me know how it goes

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Each person is different, and I myself didn't even look at a book between when I got out of class and the NREMT 1 week later, and I passed at 83 questions.

But I would suggest pedi and OB. Also, remember BSI.

EMTFL

Forum Probie
Just don't read into their questions too much or you'll start to confuse yourself. Answer the question that is being asked.

And look for the "which of these is NOT" and the "all of these EXCEPT" questions. I had quite a few of those :rolleyes:

Surprisingly though, I passed on my first time. And I actually left there thinking I bombed it.

Best of luck man! :)