Came across a pedestrian vs vehicle scene while driving and stopped & have questions

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Just as a side note: You were wearing your uniform home? Don't you change and leave the icky uniform at work and go home in your civvies?

many places you take the uniform home and clean it yourself.

OP
OP
K

kashton

Forum Probie
lol... i was about to say

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just as a side note: You were wearing your uniform home? Don't you change and leave the icky uniform at work and go home in your civvies?

If I was to leave my uniform at work, I would just return to a icky uniform the next shift. I have yet worked anywhere (hospital or EMS) that provided cleaning services. Most of our personnel have their uniforms dry cleaned.

R/r 911

RMH4986

Forum Ride Along
your ok

here in CT what you did is OK. also you did not have to stop and help out you only have to stop if your in an ambulance in your psa (primary service area). and if you do stop and help out you are covered under the good Samaritan laws. so you can do anything you need to help the person. hopes this helps.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If I was to leave my uniform at work, I would just return to a icky uniform the next shift. I have yet worked anywhere (hospital or EMS) that provided cleaning services. Most of our personnel have their uniforms dry cleaned.

R/r 911

Most agencies that I know of have laundry facilities in their station allowing personnel to toss their uniforms into the wash. Even if that wasn't available, I would still think it would be appropriate to change into civies and wear them home, and to transport the ickies in a bag, rather than contaminate my car with everyone I worked on. But, I am admittedly a bit of a freak on the topic.

kiwimedic

Forum Probie
Our protocols say we are deemed to be on duty even if we are off duty and that we can use our scope of practice but only if we use our clinical guidelines.

So I carry our clinicals pocket guide, CPR barrier and a pair of gloves in my back pocket.

We are covered by law here which basically says we can't be held at fault for anything we did or did not do, either as private Joe Schmoe or as Joe Schmoe Paramedic.

Capt.Hook

Forum Crew Member
I am reminded of a day last year when I stopped at a head-on collision just minutes after impact. This was just on the edge of our territory, but still in ours. I was the third vehicle to stop. I grabbed my radio and went to the woman still in the car. Another woman, who had witnessed, was on the cell almost hysterically shouting that the car was on fire and we needed to get her out.

The "fire" was the normal air-bag dust, steam, and overall dust from a traumatic collision. I assured both women that there was no fire and the pt. to relax. I informed the caller to tell the dispatcher who I was (firefighter & EMT, officer on my dept.) to page fire & ems and extrication was needed.

I assessed the pt. and assured them again that things would be ok. Turns out dispatch sent the neighboring dept, whom arrived shortly after. Not that I expected anything, but I was surprised at the "cold shoulder" and dirty looks I got from the responders. The first of which lived nearby and carries his own kit.

I helped the pt. to remain calm and tried giving a very brief report to this guy, then moved away. Her injuries were not threatening, turns out a broken leg and hip. Alert, patent airway, etc. It was nice to view another dept. on their patient side demeanor and overall handling of the scene.

I will stop in our rural america if the situation calls for it. We have mutual aid agreements with our neighbors, and many times the help is needed. I won't stop if things appear handled.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
We had a 2 car MVA yesterday. My pt. was PNB, needing extrication. A bystander came to me asking if he could help. He ID'd as an anesthetist (sp?) and asked if we had an ET-tube. Our conversation, while I was trying to gain access to my PT, went something like:
[conversation snipped for brevity.]
Then, this guy keeps bugging me about more blankets for the other pt. I do proceed to tell him where every blanket (10 degrees and snow) is on every truck there is, but he won't leave me alone. Turns out he witnessed the collision.

I don't mind folks helping if they can, but sometimes people need to back off when told no.
I wholeheartedly agree. However, I don't think that most people realize they can do a lot more good by backing off. Sounds like that particular scene (and I hate to be an armchair quarterback, but I am for a moment) needed more 'scene control.' YOU (or some designated representative) needs to be in charge of scene control and at times you really do need to be a bit more blunt and tell people 'we've got it covered, just back off behind XX line!' In our jurisdiction, that's what we have LEO's do on an MVA, and they do an EXCELLENT job.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I worked in an operating room and there was a particular resident there who was well-known to be (almost dangerously) incompetent. One day, the Chief Surgeon stepped into the operating suite and saw that Dr. Jerk was assigned to assist. So what he did was tell the good doctor to "glove up" and stand by until he was called in to help on the most crucial part of the operation.

That's what Dr. Jerk did, and he stood in the corner, hands raised at chest level, protected from contamination for the full two hours of the operation which helped him play the most important role of the operation -- staying away from the patient.

For the high-revving passerby who MUST help, gloving them up (emphasizing the importance of maintaining sterility) and having them stand by for intervention that will never occur is a useful tool to maintain the integrity of your command. I used this on numerous occasions.

ryahic

Forum Ride Along
WOW! I didn`t know in the states you can ignore. I live in Alberta and if you have any medical training you are liable if you don`t stop. granted if know one sees you drive by or you have no medical stickers on your car...you can drive on if you want - but your not supposed to.

Capt.Hook

Forum Crew Member
I wholeheartedly agree. However, I don't think that most people realize they can do a lot more good by backing off. Sounds like that particular scene (and I hate to be an armchair quarterback, but I am for a moment) needed more 'scene control.' YOU (or some designated representative) needs to be in charge of scene control and at times you really do need to be a bit more blunt and tell people 'we've got it covered, just back off behind XX line!' In our jurisdiction, that's what we have LEO's do on an MVA, and they do an EXCELLENT job.
You are correct about the scene control. It was one of those where I rounded the corner and couldn't believe how many cars were stopped (a petty busy state hwy). I know I should have been more direct. We were three 1st responders initially. Fire arrived soon after and did get a good handle on the outer scene. Again, I'll take help, but only if we NEED it and WANT it.

Side direction about unwanted help: I always love when a family member or friend feels they need to answer questions directed toward a patient. You know, when you're trying to get that rapport going and make some connection. That too is when we can find a "job" for them.

I like the idea of a passerby gloving up. Another trick to make folks feel needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I'm not sure what your state laws are, but in NYS, if you are a certified EMT-D or higher, and you come along an emergency and you are off duty, you do not have to stop, unless your vehicle is marked in any way to indicate you are medically trained, (such as a giant star of life sticker on the back of your car), if you do stop though, you can do everything within your scope of practice and not get in trouble, (unless you do something wrong and get sued for malpractice)...hope that helps
by the way, I myself will stop, if the scene does not appear under control (such as no FD or EMS on scene, but if there are some ambulances, and a few fire trucks and a bunch of guys (or gals) standing around, there is no need for me to stop at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I was driving home from work still wearing my uniform (I just got my first job as an EMT-Basic, waiting on my Texas cert. for Paramedic) and was stopped at a light when I noticed three people standing over a guy who was in the fetal position grabbing his knee with a painful look on his face. I pulled over and parked on the side of the road and got out... I came up to the people and asked what happened and started assessing the guy. I wasn't on the job so I was a little iffy as to what scope of practice I was allowed to do. I got as much information as I could from the patient (where he was hurting, looking for any obvious traumas, C-ABCs) and asked how fast the guy was going (the guy that was driving the car was present). The county Paramedics showed up about 2 minutes later and I told them everything I knew and took over.

What am I legally allowed/required to do since I am not on-duty?

kashton,

Sorry for the late chiming in, but you stopped and cared for the pt. I believe that, even while off duty and in uniform, you fell under the Good Samaritan Law. Legally, you can only do first aid. Now when the ALS crew showed up and they requested with your assistance - might require Med Control calling - then you can. I have several times. I stop. Always have, and always will. There is nothing wrong with asking a pt assessment questions... not in my opinion.