Calling recruiting post interview

Josheppe

Forum Ride Along
Is this generally considered "pre-career suicide"? I had an interview/assessment over two weeks ago with a county EMS agency and I haven't heard anything since then. We were told that if selected employment would start mid January. It's obvious but Christmas is next week and then it's practically the new year already. Every day the anxiety builds up even more especially when trying to decide on making commitments to go to other interviews, fill out more applications, various preparations, etc. I'm also from out of state so there's a lot of moving issues there as well.

So what do you all think is the best approach? Just wait it out, suck it up and call, or something else? They're my overall first choice so I don't want to ruin any possible chances I have. Thanks for all the help.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Pfft. I'd call. I'll give you an example. My friend interviewed with a company and was told she'd find out just before thanksgiving. Waited and waited, never heard anything. 3 and a half weeks after her interview she finally emails the HR person. She waits another week and finally finds out in email she is hired.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Call for sure. Your desire and motivation for a job is a good thing. The will see it that way. These are desperate times with many applicants.

OP
OP
J

Josheppe

Forum Ride Along
Call for sure. Your desire and motivation for a job is a good thing. The will see it that way. These are desperate times with many applicants.

That's exactly what I was thinking. No one wants to be the complaining kid that's always asking, "Are we there yet?", but I figure that the more my name is out there (in a positive way) that it may be for the better.

Tonester

Forum Probie
Go ahead and contact HR. In the future, don't wait 2 weeks to follow-up with HR. I usually send a short but polite letter/email shortly after the interiew thanking the company for their time to interview me and reminding them I am serious about obtaining the position.

bigpurpleseaturtle

Forum Probie
Thank yous from an interviewee are great, as a manager for a call center I received one thank you letter from an applicant, needless to say he was hired. I think that it shows desire for the job, and says a lot about you being proffesional. I think that many people do not realize how important sending a thank you card for an interview is.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As others have said, CALL! I spent weeks wondering on job offers only to call and get a job offer on the phone. People are busy, and sometimes other priorities come up. Calling shows that you're interested in the job.

OP
OP
J

Josheppe

Forum Ride Along
Kudos on the thank you letter idea. I only wish I thought of it two weeks ago!

Well I called the recruiter today, but of course I got the answering machine. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day...