Calling all help.

siefersl

Forum Probie
Ok I need all emt's old and new eperienced or not. I took the EMT-I class here in kansas I finished the class with flying colors for grades. I have all the sticks that i need and I only need one more intubation before i can test. That is where i need your help. They scare the crap out of me. I understand that it is something that takes some getting used to. But the last time i went to get a live intubation, I got EXTREMELY pale passed out and threw up (Not next to the pt, afterwards). I was so nervous and I personally don't feel ready. Now i am not going to test for something that i can do on a manichan and on paper, but can't do it on a real person. Just because that peice of paper says i can doesn't meani accept it as that. So here is my solutions, Get the last intubation, test, and work on it. Or retake the class, get more comfortable with the idea, get even more educated, and test then??? Either way I'm not sure what to do. And if you guys have any pointers for stomaching nerves please your advice is welcomed and appreciated. PLEAASE HELP.

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
If you don't feel you're ready, the last thing you should be doing is intubating someone. You can ask for more time to obtain more live intubations, or taking the class again and obtaining more education is never a poor option. I wouldn't blame you at all for wanting more education, and in fact I would encourage you to never stop wanting to learn more. Your own recognition that you're not ready speaks volumes with regard to you as a provider. Keep up the strong work.

Shane

Getnjgywitit

Forum Probie
So what is causing you to be nervous? Do you feel like you are not educated enough on this skill? Is it just the whole gross factor? Or is it the fact you are jamming a plactic tube down someones throat?

Here is something to remember. My preceptor once told me "Skills are the easiest thing about being a medic. Any monkey and start and I.V. and intibate. It's how you run a call and carry yourself that make you a good medic." So intibating is pretty easy. The good thing is that if you tube the pt. wrong you will find out very quickly and you can pull and re-try. Not that big of a deal. Most of the time you are tubing a pt. it is a stressful situation, but you have to remember that it is their emergency and not yours. Take a deep breath, get your equipment ready, start, visualize the cords and pass the tube. Once you get a few and will get easier and easier. It is all about confidence. If you doubt yourself it isn't going to work. Be confident! And if you aren't about your skill, then continue to practice on manicans until everything becomes second nature. Nowing your equipment will help with confidence and if you still aren't confident, then do as I do. Fake it till you make it! In other words, tell yourself you've done this a million times and it's no big deal. Bang! you've got it! You know how to do it, so do it! Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDoll

Forum Captain
also, i have found that a great way to get comfortable with something is to teach or help teach it. it's amazing what you can learn from the perspective of instructing others. obviously, i don't mean get out there and teach someone how to do it on a person, but perhaps you could help in teaching that portion of the class to students. if you can intubate a manikin, then you can teach it using a manikin, no? see if you can get some of your hours by helping, as well as getting more training for yourself. good luck!

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
...if you can intubate a manikin, then you can teach it using a manikin, no?

Not always true. Intubating a person and intubating a manikin are two vastly different things. The anatomical differences, weight differences and resistance of the human body are not even similar. The best thing to do is try to get as many tubes as you can on live patients to build your confidence. Doing this under the watchful eye of a mentor will help immensely.

Shane
NREMT-P

PS-Not to be the spelling police, but earlier in this thread someone referred to intubation as "intibation," should we be performing procedures that we can't even spell? Spelling counts in the medical field, and should count in all walks of life. Not trying to be a jerk, just something I noticed.

Getnjgywitit

Forum Probie
Not always true. Intubating a person and intubating a manikin are two vastly different things. The anatomical differences, weight differences and resistance of the human body are not even similar. The best thing to do is try to get as many tubes as you can on live patients to build your confidence. Doing this under the watchful eye of a mentor will help immensely.

Shane
NREMT-P

PS-Not to be the spelling police, but earlier in this thread someone referred to intubation as "intibation," should we be performing procedures that we can't even spell? Spelling counts in the medical field, and should count in all walks of life. Not trying to be a jerk, just something I noticed.

Well, I'm glad you picked up on my mistake. Your comment of "should we be performing procedures that we can't even spell?" was a bit of a pompous remark and completely uncalled for. You know as well as I know that the act of spelling and actually performing the skill are completely two different things. I can think of many professions that I can not do, but can spell, that somebody who can not read or write are able to perform and make a living at it. Thank you once again for showing your arrogance and your all superior knowledge in all that is medical and spelling related. Not trying be be a jerk, but just something I noticed. :glare:

PS- I went back and corrected my error in spelling. As much as I agree with you on how important spelling is, this is also a discussion board and not a legal document that holds any sort of importance. Please is excuse my spelling errors as I'm sure there will be more to come. :beerchug:

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
You're more than welcome to think what you want of me. It's an internet forum, where people are free to post comments, thoughts and conclusions. I don't know as though it was a mistake when it was repeated throughout the post. Attention to detail is important, not only with regard to our chosen profession but life in general. The act of spelling a common technique in your chosen field (as well as mine) goes to that same attention to detail. While this isn't a legal document, it is a public forum in which our profession is represented. I personally like to see our profession represented well, and to have our educations show forth. If that offends you, so be it.

As for my arrogance and all superior knowledge. You're free to call it what you want and to think what you will. I won't lose sleep over it, in the same manner that I don't think you'll lose any over my comments.

Shane
NREMT-P

Getnjgywitit

Forum Probie
You're more than welcome to think what you want of me. It's an internet forum, where people are free to post comments, thoughts and conclusions. I don't know as though it was a mistake when it was repeated throughout the post. Attention to detail is important, not only with regard to our chosen profession but life in general. The act of spelling a common technique in your chosen field (as well as mine) goes to that same attention to detail. While this isn't a legal document, it is a public forum in which our profession is represented. I personally like to see our profession represented well, and to have our educations show forth. If that offends you, so be it.

As for my arrogance and all superior knowledge. You're free to call it what you want and to think what you will. I won't lose sleep over it, in the same manner that I don't think you'll lose any over my comments.

Shane
NREMT-P

As I agree that attention to detail is very important in OUR chosen profession, spelling errors will occur, especially from someone who hasn't been using the terms or the medical dialogue for very long. I just think the comment was a bit snooty. I don't mind being corrected as we are all human and make mistakes, just don't really dig on the snide remarks. As for what I call it, I call it as I see it. Your last comment changes the way I think of you, not that you really care, but it was for the better if you do. ;) I won't be so care free with my posts from now forth.

Moderator's edit: Personal attacks will not be tolerated. I have removed the post being quoted from the thread. ~ Chimpie

LOL car12, well I like to see that you have resorted to name calling and yelling. (At least that's what the caps indicate). Well what does give me the right is that I have intubated quite a few patients in my internship. Granted not nearly as many as you have I'm sure, but that is one skill I do feel very comfortable about. Why can't I hand out advice about something that I do feel I do well? I'm confident with my skills of intubation. He isn't. I was trying to find out why. So, from your single post that you have on this forum, this is the one piece of advice you have to add? Nice. I plan on learning from people and helping people, I thought that's what forums were about.

~Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

siefersl

Forum Probie
Back to the point

Alright guys I'm sorry to have started so much turmoil. I posted because I need help. I understand that not everyone will have the same opinion. As for bickering this shouldn't happen. If you feel that you can not help me with your comment please post it else where. I want to get my paramedic eventually, and I am having a problem. I thought I might be able to get some help from other people that are already there that aren't people that I work with that want me to test just because It means that they have higher standards of care.

Now in response to previous question. It wasn't the gross factor or anything like that. Its the pressure I feel when I'm not getting the ET tube in. Basically its a crack under pressure and I'm not sure how to fix it. I understand that its not all going to just happen it takes practice. I know that. I can do it on a maniken yes. BUT IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I know... I have seen at least that much.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
arguing on the internet is like the special olympics. even if you win, your still retarded...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Now in response to previous question. It wasn't the gross factor or anything like that. Its the pressure I feel when I'm not getting the ET tube in. Basically its a crack under pressure and I'm not sure how to fix it. I understand that its not all going to just happen it takes practice. I know that. I can do it on a maniken yes. BUT IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I know... I have seen at least that much.

Relax. Easier said than done. Pretend the people are the dummy.

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
Cool it!

Hey guys, let's cool it....

Back to our regularly scheduled program. :p

Getnjgywitit

Forum Probie
Well I understand the pressure. I felt it too for the first few I did and I still felt it just when the bell rang for a call durning my internship! LOL So the best piece of advice I could give is to take your time. Make sure what you are seeing is what you are looking for. Look for landmarks. I'm not sure about your county, but we had 30 seconds to try and land a tube. If you slow yourself down it is actually a pretty long time. If you are not sure what you are looking at, then apply some cricoid pressure. There have been times where I wasn't sure what I was looking at. Once the cricoid pressure was applied, then I could get a good visual of the cords.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
another perspective

Looking back, I have to say when I first got word that intubation was even an option I was very excited. Of all the things in my bag of tricks, intubation was THE one thing that I knew had the potential to really make an immediate difference in a critically ill or injured person -- every time it was used. It was such a (relatively) simple procedure that could do so much!

That conviction had to have been very strong because it carried me through five years (at least!) of ca-ca in every county I worked because there was always such debate about the procedure, so much bad Dr. attitude, jealous Nurses...you name it. I know from reading these posts it's not much different in a lot of places than it was 25 years ago. How pitiful!

But my point is, if you embrace it as one of your most valuable mechanical tools, that can help override that queasy stomach. You are doing no more than a five or six point maneuver centering around positioning, finding landmarks, placing, anchoring and checking. It is one of the most clearly, step-by-step things we do.

Doing it over and over again does one important thing -- it shuts off all the negative stuff running through your head while you focus on the task.

Really, my friend, that's all that's in your way!

TheDoll

Forum Captain
Shane
NREMT-P
i totally agree that intubating a manikin and person are different. so, i would like to clarify my post. what i wrote was "if you can intubate a manikin, then you can teach how to intubate a manikin, no?". so, i was saying that perhaps she could help teach people how to intubate manikins--not people. for example, when i was taking my class we had people helping us practice our practical portion. (sorry to be so redundant redundant:p). anyway, perhaps she could do that. i want to be clear in saying that i did not write that she should learn by teaching others how to intubate a person. i apologize for any confusion!:blush: