Californias NEW minimum wage

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey all,
Seeing the new minimum at $10 an hour how do some of you feel that have put in 5 years or more with a company to only now be making $10 or right around that?
Did anyone question their management on it? You shouldn't be paid less or equivalent to what a bag boy makes in highschool. Happy New Year!

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Is it now $10/hr? I started at $10.10/hr on a flat rate and w/ night differential was $11.10/hr. Company cut night differential and it took me a few years to work my way back up $11/hr.

Im talking to new hires recently who say they're all making $11/hr on a flat rate.

I'll PM you some of the nitty gritty, crash the rig in to the building details later.

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
This is indeed troubling. The best we can do is talk to our bosses about a raise and tell them we're worth more. I did some research to see what the going wages are and this site lists wages in major cities across the country. Knowing what the going rate is in your area is the first step in salary negotiations. Then, know what your skills and experience is worth and put it all on the table.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is it now $10/hr? I started at $10.10/hr on a flat rate and w/ night differential was $11.10/hr. Company cut night differential and it took me a few years to work my way back up $11/hr.

Im talking to new hires recently who say they're all making $11/hr on a flat rate.

And this is exactly the problem with a minimum wage. It doesn't actually increase the value of a workers labor. It will benefit some people, but it will harm others. It is nothing but another form of income redistribution. The lower paid employees will get a raise, but where does that money come from? Either from cuts in benefits (and what good is a few dollar an hour raise if your insurance costs go up or your 401k match goes away), or in fewer raises for the more senior people.

Reactions: jwk