California Recert - Lapse more than one year

alyssa_

Forum Probie
Hi there!

Maybe I'm just an incompetent google researcher, but I can't figure out what exactly I need to recert in LA County, or if it's even possible. Any help would be appreciated! Basically I've been working in a totally unrelated field for the past few years and unfortunately let my certs rot and die. Here's where I'm at.

Original EMT Course Completion: 06/2010
NREMT Exp.: 03/2012
CA State Cert Exp.: 6/2012

UCLA EMT Refresher Completion: 04/2012
Skills Verification Completion: 04/2012
AHA CPR Exp: 04/2014

Recert form:
http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/certification/EMTRecertApp.pdf

Apparently to recert after a 12 month lapse (which I just missed <_<) I need a NREMT Written Exam Pass Letter and Skills test. However, if I did my research correctly, I can't recertify by examination for the NREMT since I completed my original EMT course more than 2 years ago, unless I've done a refresher course and have current state certification. Catch 22?

Am I screwed and have to redo EMT school? Not sure if it would be worth it, especially if ambulance hours don't count for PA school... haha. Either way, thank you for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Hi there!

Maybe I'm just an incompetent google researcher, but I can't figure out what exactly I need to recert in LA County, or if it's even possible. Any help would be appreciated! Basically I've been working in a totally unrelated field for the past few years and unfortunately let my certs rot and die. Here's where I'm at.

Original EMT Course Completion: 06/2010
NREMT Exp.: 03/2012
CA State Cert Exp.: 6/2012

UCLA EMT Refresher Completion: 04/2012
Skills Verification Completion: 04/2012
AHA CPR Exp: 04/2014

Recert form:
http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/certification/EMTRecertApp.pdf

Apparently to recert after a 12 month lapse (which I just missed <_<) I need a NREMT Written Exam Pass Letter and Skills test. However, if I did my research correctly, I can't recertify by examination for the NREMT since I completed my original EMT course more than 2 years ago, unless I've done a refresher course and have current state certification. Catch 22?

Am I screwed and have to redo EMT school? Not sure if it would be worth it, especially if ambulance hours don't count for PA school... haha. Either way, thank you for the help!
If those dates in red are your completion dates, then you should be good until 2014. If those are your expiration dates of your 1st renewal (4 years after initial certification), then you'd need to do 48 hours of CE and along with that, your EMT refresher provider should do the skills competency verification. If you did the refresher in 2012 and failed to actually recertify at that time, you may be able to simply take another refresher course with skills verification and submit the previous 2012 course you took.

That's if I'm reading the form correctly.

You should look yourself up to see if you're actually "current" here: http://www.centralregistry.ca.gov/

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Lapse greater than 1 year

You have allowed your California certification to lapse greater than 1 year. You are not hosed yet. You must now retake and pass the NREMT written exam. I recommend you start the recert application with your LEMSA first so that they have you on their radar.

You can get your California EMT certification back by taking the NREMT without having to a take an EMT course, but you have less than one year left to complete the task. One good thing you have done is take a refresher course, you may still need an additional 12 CE.

If you had let your CA cert go past two years of expiration, then you would be taking the EMT course again. Don't let that happen to you.