California License help

JeffH

Forum Ride Along
I am currently a Missouri licensed EMT. I have been through medic class, unable to finish clinicals due to a job move. While going through medic class I let my national registry lapse, as I thought I would not need it as an emt anymore. I am moving to California, and will be in the Orange County area. I know that they require national registry, that's not a problem. What I don't know is what levels they hire to work on a truck. I cannot get a straight answer. I have been told that since I have the medic class behind me, I can challenge the AEMT test, but I'm not sure if they hire aemt's. I would love to finish clinicals and get my Medic license, but I was told that they only run fire/medics. So what do I need to do? Where do I start? Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Very few areas in California certify AEMT personnel. Orange County isn't one of those counties. You should be able to recertify your EMT and then you might be able to find a job working as an EMT on an ambulance there. The pay isn't going to be all that great...

If your program meets California's requirements for the didactic portion, you might be able to complete your Paramedic education out here. Whether you'll be able to work in Orange County as a Paramedic, that's a whole different matter.

OP
OP
J

JeffH

Forum Ride Along
Thanks. I will regain my national, and get ca licensed. While working on medic again.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
NREMT = Passport

In CA, out of state certification along with NREMT registration is needed to be considered for CA State EMT or AEMT certification through reciprocity. You may want to consider the work you've already done in your AEMT as preparation for Paramedic school.

You can be an EMT or Paramedic in Orange County, the system doesn't recognize AEMT. There are two private non-fire EMS employers of IFT-ALS Paramedics and Flight Paramedics, they are Lynch EMS and Mercy Air.

Get your NREMT renewed and apply online at OCEMS through the following link once you have followed all the instructions. You will need to perform a CA and FBI background check known as a "live scan". Follow the instructions that OCEMS provides.

https://www.oc-meds.org/licensure/public/orangecounty/public-portal/Login/default.cfm?