Burnout... How to overcome?

Jason6677

Forum Ride Along
I work as a paramedic at 2 jobs, usually 2 24 hr shifts per week at each job. I'm sick of 1) working all the time and 2) the constant stress. Does anyone else feel the stress of constantly worrying if you're good enough to handle what the next call may bring? I constantly have an uneasy feeling when im at work, for this very reason. I think it would be great if I could only work 1 job (who in EMS can do this right?) Then I would know that im always off "tomorrow" to recooperate. But the fact of knowing that you have to leave this job tomorrow and head to another one, just sucks. I guess this is burnout...idk. I study constantly when im working and at home to try to become a master medic in hopes of dropping the stress of not knowing if i can handle the next call. I just don't know what to do... I've been looking at other career options, but part of me doesn't want to leave EMS. When im off work and see an ambulance rolling by, part of me is jealous and misses it, but when im physically at work, its another story. What's the deal? Anyone else feel this way?

BEN52

Forum Crew Member
There are several issues in play here.

First and foremost your confidence issue. You did not mention how long you have been a paramedic. If you are new this will pass in time. If you have been at it a little while and it has not leveled off with some experience under your belt you need to act. An honest self assessment and candid conversation with trusted coworkers should expose your strengths and weakness. Work to highlight your strengths and make a calculated effort to improve upon your weaknesses. IF you are weak in knowledge and skills seek specific education in the form of con ed lectures, focused reading, conferences etc. in the areas you are deficient. If it is more of an application / delivery thing seek out mentorship from trusted and experienced coworkers. Emulation of their practices can help tailor yours.

As far as working to much there are also several variables. The first question is why are you doing it. If you are doing it for the money you must ask why. Is it a revenue (not making enough) or an expense issue (spending to much)? If is a revenue issue you should seek new employment. Perhaps you must pay your dues before achieving better employment locally. Perhaps you work in an underpaid region. I will catch come flak for this but the money, stability, and long term CAREER prospects are in the union fire service in labor friendly states. Yes there are some EMS only jobs that provide this but your options are much more limited in my opinion. As a union firefighter / paramedic I make enough money to only have one job, have great benefits, and a solid pension based retirement. My work environment is also vastly superior to when I worked for private and third service EMS services. If it is an expense issue you need to take a hard look at your finances. Are you saddled with debt? If so you need to formulate a plan to pay down those debts which will in turn free up your cash flow. Perhaps you are living a lifestyle that simply can't be supported by a single EMS job. You can only make so much coin in this line of work. Only you can decide if it will provide you a lifestyle you are comfortable with.

I experienced what you are going through and I feel many of us have. I am now at a point where I found a job that pays me enough that I don't have to work on the side. I still work a bit on the side but I don't have to. My full time job covers all of my essential expenses such as my mortgage, my cars, utilities, food, and supplemental retirement. I use my part time money as fun money. Because I don't need this money I am able to scale back when I feel over burdened. this flexibility is a game changer.

Good luck!

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Well said Ben.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm no expert, but when you say "I constantly have an uneasy feeling when I'm at work" it sounds more like anxiety than burnout, but the "constantly" part would worry me more than trying to label it. In my experience, any constant, bad feelings about work meant I needed to see if it got better over a well-defined period of time -- a year, for example -- and if not, do something else.

The part about missing EMS when you see someone else doing it is common, I think. Part of the reason is that it's a lot easier to have worked in the field than to work in the field. We can feel good about what we've done without necessarily wanting to do it again. For example, when I was a kid, I felt good about standing up to a physical confrontation without wanting to be in that position again.

On the positive side, I think being concerned about your performance is a lot better than just going through the motions. When you start doing the latter, then it's more likely burnout.

Derek Nowell

Forum Ride Along
I have been in EMS for 12 years, and I own a small medical training company (doing AHA classes). I am new to the forum, but I also experienced burn out a couple of years ago. I found that I needed a change in life to make sure I am happy and healthy. My change started by taking a demotion at work, I work in a fire/rescue system. I demoted back to being a driver on an engine, then I focused on finding hobbies for my off time. I know not everyone has these options, but this is what helped me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't know anybody that could work 96 hours a week at any job and not hate life. Try going part time at one of the jobs?
Pretty much this. I don't know what your financial situation is, but you aren't going to be able to take much advantage of the money you make working 96 hours a week. That will burn you out no matter how confident you are in your abilities.