BS or AAS

Renegade2070

Forum Ride Along
Ok, so I just found this forum via Google and thought I'd see if someone can provide some input.

My goal is to eventually get CCEMT-P and do critical care transport or flight. Question is for medic training is there an advantage to getting a BS in Emergency Medical Services with a 27credit hour Clinical Care emphasis or just get the AAS in paramedicine? I ask because I'm in an area where I can get the BS or the AAS.

Thanks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It depends upon what you really want to do. Truthfully, there is no difference between an AAS Paramedic and a B.S. Paramedic as per skill levels, and performance, pay and employment. Now, with that said, one could say the same about the RN's, with an ADN and BSN, and I can assure there is a world of difference being of both.

I highly encourage you to explore the possibilities of the B.S. program, if you really want to make EMS your career choice. Many programs offer one to obtain their Paramedic (AAS) then continue and pursue the B.S. route. Most B.S. programs specialize in management, education, and minor research, not really any changes in the Paramedic curricula, some do include aviation medicine.

Please remember, if one is really thinking of critical care transports, you should have a good experience of at least 2-5 years at the Paramedic level, in a very progressive system. For flight services, the competition is even higher.

Good luck!
R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I like the A.A.S Paramedic and then the BSN. Nice combo especially if you're interested in Flight.

The Flight Paramedic will need 2 - 5 years experience. For Flight Nurse, even with Flight Paramedic experience, you may still need 3 - 5 years of ICU/ED/CVICU experience as a nurse.

You could do the A.D.N and B.S. in EMS, but the BSN will get an employer's attention.

However, with an A.A.S in Paramedic with a strong science/math background, your B.S. could be any health field, science or management.

Your Masters is where you can have the real fun. B)

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
I like the A.A.S Paramedic and then the BSN. Nice combo especially if you're interested in Flight.

The Flight Paramedic will need 2 - 5 years experience. For Flight Nurse, even with Flight Paramedic experience, you may still need 3 - 5 years of ICU/ED/CVICU experience as a nurse.

You could do the A.D.N and B.S. in EMS, but the BSN will get an employer's attention.

However, with an A.A.S in Paramedic with a strong science/math background, your B.S. could be any health field, science or management.

Your Masters is where you can have the real fun. B)

Talk about your alphabet soup. :rolleyes: LOL

disassociative

Forum Captain
Lord have mercy. A friend of mine(RN, B.S.N./ccEMT-P) was reviewing applicants for a new Flight Paramedic position with Life Force, and I do not remember one candidate that had less than 10 yrs experience. The minimums are usually 3-5 years, however--to be competitive, you really need about 10 yrs.

I would have to agree with VentMedic and say: Paramedic, A.A.S. with a B.S.N.
This training makes for a nice well-rounded individual when it comes to critical care medicine; be it in the field or in the hospital.

I still remember the first day of EMT school. The instructor asked, "how many people are going to get their paramedic license and go on to aeromedical transport?". 90% of the class raised their hands.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I still remember the first day of EMT school. The instructor asked, "how many people are going to get their paramedic license and go on to aeromedical transport?". 90% of the class raised their hands.

I always find it funny, that most assume that it is what they want to do. More amazing, is that about < 40% will continue onward to Paramedic level, and from that about 20- 30 % will quit EMS within five years. From that about 1-2% will apply for a flight service position and less 1%will ever get the chance to actually be a flight medic.

I used to teach flight nursing & medics. Many assume it is the same as the field and is more aggressive and exciting. What many do not realize is the "very cramped" quarters, the confined space with zeeing and zawing (if you have motion sickness, cancel being in a flight service) as well as very physically demanding. In fact, most times very rarely one ever starts an IV or intubates on a flight team. With ground EMS usually has the patient already intubated, one more just transports. However; if they do not it is usually due to an airway for HE*L, and thus the reason for the years experience.

Air services are the most cut throat business as well. Very business, and strict budgetary means. Remember, one is talking about a $6000 response each time.

With this saying, I love aviation medicine.. but, again it is a job.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It is highly competitive. Not only among the flight personnel but amongst the applications to hospitals for contracts to do their inter-facility.

I know one County agency that spent serious money on a new "used" helicopter as well as trying to recruit a Flight nurse manager and 3 flight nurses to compliment the paramedics who are pulled from ground crews to staff the helicopter. The HEMS was to do scene and inter-facility. They desperately needed the income from the inter-facility. However, the hospitals preferred another service that had a staff of proven dedication and experience. The area being serviced really needs a trauma flight helicopter. But, the crew must be able to care for a critical patient on a flight that could last 1 hour.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Naive me, but let me ask,

How is the SOP different for flight medics/RNs then for ground medics/ground CC Transports? How is SOP determined when transporting accross state lines?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends upon the agency. Many have the same protocols, where as some may have different because length of transport.

In regards it again upon location. I at one time had 10 RN licenses, and 14 Paramedic License/Certifications... Because I was responsible for a Region encompasssing several states. Some states states have an agreement from one state to another, or temporary until patient is delivered.

R/r 911