BS in Emergency Management

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Hello All

I am currently working on getting my AS in communications. I am starting to look down the road to getting my BS in Emergency Management. Is this the right move? Can I do it all online? Any advice will be great!!

Thank you

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm going to get my bachelors in paramedicine because it is the closest one I am to finishing.

OP
OP
EMT2015

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Waste of money.
- Yeah, I've seen that. The lowest I've seen was 30K and the highest was 60K. Who has that kind of money laying around??

I'm going to get my bachelors in paramedicine because it is the closest one I am to finishing.
- Hmm, I didn't think about that. I was going to try to minor in paramedicine, but not sure if I can.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Someone who has a bachelors in paramedic makes the same entry level pay as a paramedic with a certificate.

Why waste the money on a 4 year degree when you will be making the same amount as if you just got a certificate?

OP
OP
EMT2015

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Well, now I got something new to look at!

PotatoMedic

Someone who has a bachelors in paramedic makes the same entry level pay as a paramedic with a certificate.

Why waste the money on a 4 year degree when you will be making the same amount as if you just got a certificate?
Because there is an 18 month program where I live where I can get my MSN with any bachelors degree. I can join the military as an officer. And I just want the academic achievement of having a bachelors.

OP
OP
EMT2015

EMT2015

Forum Captain
@FireWA1 Are you going to join the military??

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Because there is an 18 month program where I live where I can get my MSN with any bachelors degree. I can join the military as an officer. And I just want the academic achievement of having a bachelors.
You could get a bachelors in anything.

A military/army medic is a glorified EMT. They only have their EMT-b Certs but have a wider scope of practice.

I would get a degree in something that you can use down the road as opposed to just getting a degree solely to become an officer.

If you want to be a military police, get a degree in CJ. If you want to work in military medicine get your BSN. But having a degree in paramedic won't put you far in the military, as they don't utilize paramedic certifications.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
A degree in emergency management wouldn't take long and encompasses a whole lot more then a degree in just paramedic.

PotatoMedic

Just listing options. And if I join the military I will go for a flying position. Probably Chinook. And again. The bachelors degree in paramedicine is the quickest to complete. I can easily take that to a masters in emergency management if I wanted. But I am thinking I will go pa at some point.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Just listing options. And if I join the military I will go for a flying position. Probably Chinook. And again. The bachelors degree in paramedicine is the quickest to complete. I can easily take that to a masters in emergency management if I wanted. But I am thinking I will go pa at some point.
Ah. Are you in ROTC

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Waste of money.

Kinda a bold statement, rarely is education a complete waste of money. With that being said I think the OP needs to provide more information into what his future goals are. If you want to work in Emergency Management, for someone like FEMA, then it wouldn't be a bad route to START at, as you will likely need a masters degree. However if you're just looking to be a Paramedic then I agree it's not the best utilization of your time or money.

What are your goals? Do you have a certain profession in mind? That will allow us to provide some better insight.

OP
OP
EMT2015

EMT2015

Forum Captain
What are your goals? Do you have a certain profession in mind?

My goals are to become a Paramedic, maybe go into law enforcement, and work in Emergency Management ( not sure where though).

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
My goals are to become a Paramedic, maybe go into law enforcement, and work in Emergency Management ( not sure where though).

Well personally I would tell you to try and narrow down those three things, and pick two. Some careers encompass two of those three items, however not many do all three, and I think it would be a waste of time to study in a field you aren't going to utilize in your future career.

For example: If you wanted to be a Paramedic and purse a career in law enforcement maybe a job like the Maryland State Police would be for you. You could be a State Trooper, and eventually transfer to aviation command and be a flight paramedic. However they don't do a lot of emergency management stuff unless you went into a branch like executive protection or something where you MIGHT do some emergency management/SOP work.

If you wanted to do LE and Emergency Management then there are a ton of opportunities with branches like the FBI, FEMA, Secret Service, Metro Transit, Capital Police, etc etc all of which have both of those components, but you will not utilize your Paramedic.

If your interested in being a medic and Emergency Management, maybe a position at a hospital ER doing emergency management would be up your alley.

In closing basically what I am saying is try to narrow your focus from three things to maybe the two that stick out to you of those choices. That will better allow you to focus your studies, time, and effort, and also search the job market ahead of time for positions you may be interested in. Good luck.

OP
OP
EMT2015

EMT2015

Forum Captain
In closing basically what I am saying is try to narrow your focus from three things to maybe the two that stick out to you of those choices. That will better allow you to focus your studies, time, and effort, and also search the job market ahead of time for positions you may be interested in. Good luck.

Awesome!! Thank you so much for you input!! I will be working on narrowing my choices.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You could get a bachelors in anything.

A military/army medic is a glorified EMT. They only have their EMT-b Certs but have a wider scope of practice.

I would get a degree in something that you can use down the road as opposed to just getting a degree solely to become an officer.

If you want to be a military police, get a degree in CJ. If you want to work in military medicine get your BSN. But having a degree in paramedic won't put you far in the military, as they don't utilize paramedic certifications.

As of 2016 or 2017 you have to be NREMT-P to be a flight medic in the military...so yes, they do utilize Paramedic certifications.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
As of 2016 or 2017 you have to be NREMT-P to be a flight medic in the military...so yes, they do utilize Paramedic certifications.

Yup and they're also making them get their FP-C if I am not mistaken. Glad to see they are raising the standards.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Education is and never will be a waste of money. Regardless of the BS you receive each will prepare you to move into different positions in and out of your company when you are ready to move out of the box. Remember each one if us is 1 call away from a career ending Injury, it is very wise to have a backup plan.