BS in ANYTHING else or Paramedicine?

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, I know I have asked you educational questions before and you have all always been able to point me in the right direction. Basically as of right now I am 25 credits away from getting my General AA and plan on going to a 4 year this time next year.

I want to go to Central Washington University which is the only 4 year school in the Pacific Northwest (I'm pretty sure) that offers a BS in Paramedicine. The only thing is that I need my EMT-B cert and 2 years of experience before I can even take the major entrance exam. And even THEN being the only school in the state with a 4 year program and only 24 slots to fill each year you can see my dillema (sp?).

So what do you guys think? Should I finish up my AA and then go straight on to finish my Bachelor's in another major? I'm not quite sure of a specific major but I know it will be in the social sciences area and no matter what my minor will be in aviation so I can have my private pilot's license and maybe have that look better on my resume down the road if I want to try for any Flight Medic programs.

Basically I'm looking at it like this, right now I'm 19 and in 2 years I can be a Basic with a 4 year college degree and enter a junior college medic program (I'm sure I could get in since I would have the degree and ba decent resume by then) by the time I am 21.

OR

Just finish my AA and then be a Basic for two years and then apply to the paramedic program. Would someone with a BS in Paramedicine be considered better for the job than someone with a BS in Sociology and a medic cert?

Thanks guys

MedicDoug

Forum Crew Member
Would someone with a BS in Paramedicine be considered better for the job than someone with a BS in Sociology and a medic cert?
Short answer: no. Good Training plus some experience is usually valued more for an entry-level street medic. No amount of education can match the training you get in the streets. That said, I firmly believe that having a BS will be helpful down the road. Who knows, you might decide to change fields, or go on to med school... The general education requirements of a Bachelor's degree teach you critical thinking skills as well as give you the opportunity to learn to write a coherent paragraph (a skill that is sorely lacking among many medics... just read some PCRs!).
A BS in paramedicine would be handy if you start applying for management or government (EMS agency) jobs down the line, but I can't remember ever reading a job description that REQUIRED a BS in Paramedicine. The career field isn't that mature yet. Hope this helps.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
yes we are an immature field right now. Right now we are busy telling big priapism jokes. :eek:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends on what your goal is. Within the next five years, we will see a major shift and change within EMS. NREMT is now considering and endorsing the Advanced Paramedic Practitioner style program. It will probably require one to have a formal education, such as the minimum of a B.S. if not graduate level.

Unfortunately, most B.S. programs (even Washington University) is outlined as either management, education and some research tracks. There is little to no difference in the Paramedic or curriculum other than some may have an additional aeromedicine or critical care courses.

In regards to your situation, I would recommend a BS in some form of science if you are really considering a medical field. In regards to aviation, if you are considering pilot for private purposes that is great, but it will NOT help you for Flight Medic future. Medical crew and pilots are a total separate job and definitely profession. Many time the two do NOT mix well.

Since you are 19, my recommendation is to get your B.S. (preferred Biology rather than sociology or BSN if you really want to be in flight care) by this time you will be near the employable age. Nothing wrong with sociology, but the minimum for sociologist is a Doctorate level. As you described, you can return and finish your Paramedic and obtain experience afterwards. You will be very employable and marketable, as well other opportunities could be opened to you rather just getting some experience and Paramedic now.

Nothing personal, but flight services really look at maturity level as well as medical knowledge. You will find many younger people but usually those that are over the age of 25 to 30. Again, experience, education level, and life experiences is the main criteria for looking for flight medic material.

Good luck,

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There are a few Paramedic programs such as the one near Atlanta that is attempting to prepare a Paramedic with more "Critical Care" experience. Loma Linda also offers an excellent clinical/science track for the B.S. as a Paramedic.

For Flight, it can give you an edge especially if you want to achieve a leadership role. For many Flight teams, an RN is promoted before a Paramedic. Why? Education. The RN will have an least a 2 year degree and usually a BSN. The Paramedic usually has only a certificate.

But, if you are an EMT-P and get your BSN, you will still have to meet the working requirements for the Flight RN position. This includes at least 5 years of ICU/ED experience. There are many Flight Paramedics who hold a BSN degree but can not work as a Flight RN with Flight RN pay because they have no experience in Critical Care inside an ICU.