Brand New EMT!

emt 92591

Forum Probie
I Just Passed My EMT, After 3 Times Taking My Written Exam. The Reason Im Writing Is Can You Give This Newbie Any Tips Or Share Any Experiences As A Newbie!^_^

Summit

Critical Crazy
I Just Passed My EMT, After 3 Times Taking My Written Exam. The Reason Im Writing Is Can You Give This Newbie Any Tips Or Share Any Experiences As A Newbie!^_^

Don't Capitalize Every Word, Newbie.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
You've been here a while you should know!

Summit

Critical Crazy
You've been here a while you should know!

Seriously... been here two years, e-friends with Rid and FFemt, and she can't figure out how to use SEARCH? ... and she can't write...

No wonder it took her three tries to pass the test.

Summit

Critical Crazy
That seems a little harsh.

Perhaps, maybe I'm grumpy, of course I don't think one ought to be able to take the EMT-B test three times. The subject matter is simple enough and the standards are lax enough as it is...

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Congratulations on your accomplishment!!....

I remember the feeling after passing my EMT. As far as advice.... never stop reading and learning. Research stuff online if you do not know. Do not box yourself in to all that is BLS... expand your knowledge base outside of what is solely considered BLS. Learn about different meds that you see your patients on, learn about the meds the Paramedic gives, Google common medical conditions, yearn to actually understand why it is you do what you do.

To start off as a new EMT I challenge you to do this.... understand the pathophysiology of Shock. Learn what it is and the many different types of Shock, what they all have in common, what happens in the body during a Shock state, learn about the compensatory mechanisms and learn what causes all the common signs and symptoms of Shock.

Don't just recognize that patients in shock will present with increased heart & resp rates, cool & clammy skin, in late cases hypotension, suffer from thirst, become nauseated and sweaty. Take each sign/symptom of Shock and be able to explain physiologically what is causing them. Know why it is important to keep a patient in shock warm (hint: clotting).

Most EMT's are only able to recall and recognize the signs but not able to explain what is happening to produce these signs. This challenge is not above the level of an EMT (contrary to what a few seem to think)... since Shock is a common condition encountered in both Trauma and Medical patients.... this will serve you well.

As a bonus, research the importance of pulse pressure in Shock and what it tells you about how well the patient is compensating. To most EMT's (and some Paramedics) a B/P of 102/88 falls within a pretty normal range and won't raise to much of an alarm. But when evaluating that pulse pressure in the absence of other more obvious signs of Shock ... it tells something very important is taking place.

Remember, learning doesn't stop after putting your card in your wallet which is why I gave you this challenge. Only a half of what you will learn as an EMT is taught in the 130hrs of classroom time. The other half comes from experience and taking the initiative to attend con-ed and self-study.

Good luck and again, congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Perhaps, maybe I'm grumpy, of course I don't think one ought to be able to take the EMT-B test three times. The subject matter is simple enough and the standards are lax enough as it is...

Perhaps not passing a test doesn't always represent a student who will not make a good clinician. Perhaps some just have difficulty taking a large exam.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

True, but like ResTech said earlier, not everybody tests well. But attacking somebody and saying you aren't surprised they failed seems unnecessary.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
True, but like ResTech said earlier, not everybody tests well. But attacking somebody and saying you aren't surprised they failed seems unnecessary.

Seems like par for the course to me. :)

Summit

Critical Crazy
Perhaps not passing a test doesn't always represent a student who will not make a good clinician. Perhaps some just have difficulty taking a large exam.

We must measure didactic knowledge as well as skills. In the case of EMT-B, it is extremely simple knowledge comprehension that is being tested. That is not to say I like how NREMT does their test, but it is simple nonetheless.

I also have no qualms with razzing newbies who *should* know better.

Last edited by a moderator: