Book Recommendation Compendium! Let's hear your thoughts and recs!

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Based on recommendations from this forum, I purchased and enjoyed working through Clinically Oriented Anatomy and also Pathologic Basics of Disease.

I'm an EMT-B who hopes to do Paramedic school, then PA school... and in the meantime I'm doing pre-reqs for that and trying to learn as much as I can/prepare as well as possible.

I thought it would be nice to have a book recommendation thread.

I'll start- recommended to me at the GH ED where I volunteer: Hippocrates Shadow- written by an ER doc and has a piercing viewpoint on the state of medicine today. Interesting, informative and enlightening read.
http://www.amazon.com/Hippocrates-Shadow-Secrets-House-Medicine/dp/1416551530

Also- for your basic knowledge- less quick of a read as Hippocrates Shadow- Medical Terminology for Health Professionals
http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Terminology-Health-Professions-Ehrlich/dp/1401860265

What cha got? Looking for "must reads" - would love some reads touching on diabetes, polypharmacy, geriatrics, bariatrics, drug research, or broad based subject books. Not so interested in bureaucratic/governance/socialized medicine debate side of things... waded through more than enough of that junk in my former wall street career!

Thanks for your thoughts...
Beandip

ps- i seached before posting this thread and couldnt BELIEVE there had never been a thread on this before!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
"Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" by Dale Dubin.

A must for anyone that routinely does EKGs, and good for anyone else just for understanding.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
In this "Education and Training" a search for "Paramedic Textbooks or books " should get you something.

A reprint of a reply of mine from March 08.

The courses I've been involved with have used not one but several. For my PCP I had

Mosby's Paramedic Text (2nd ed)
Human Anatomy and Physiology, Marieb (I liked this one)
Understanding Pathophysiology, Huether & McCance (2nd ed)
Mosby's Nursing and Allied Health Medical Dictionary
Exploring Medical Language, Mosby's
Differential Diagnosis of Arrhythmias, Davis (Not sure where this came from)

For my ACP I have

Mosby's Paramedic Text (Revised 3rd ed)
Anatomy and Physiology, Thibodeau & Patton
Understanding Pathophysiology, Huether & McCance (3rd ed)
Lippincott's Pharmacology, (3rd ed)
12 lead ECG in Acute Coronary Syndromes, Phalen & Aehlert(Revised 2nd ed)
ECG's Made Easy, Aehlert (3rd ed)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Course Guide and Providers Manual (2006)
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support, Providers Manual (2006)
Neonatal Resuscitation Textbook, NRP, (5th ed)
Exploring Medical Language, Mosby's (6th ed)

Many come with CD's and supporting web sites. If I could only get a couple I would start with an A & P and the dictionary. Then a pathophysiology and a paramedic text. Follow those up with speciality books. No one book has it all, you will need several as you will reference them time and time again. These are all good books, but can be a little hard on the head and wallet.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple. ISBN-10: 094078081X
(good supplement, but not a text book)

The House of God: ISBN-10: 0425238091

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales: ISBN-10: 0684853949

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
I resisted the urge to search for similar topics in order to give my wallet a break.

It is now crying in the corner.

I really need to go by my library sometime.

OP
OP
beandip4all

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
I really need to go by my library sometime.

CAO- some of the hospitals I bring patients to (and... inevitably... post at!) have fantastic medical libraries, and they'll happily let you hang out there and do some research/note taking... maybe check that out?

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Hmm...never thought of that.

Thanks!