Boats anyone?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
In 1977, what was then Creighton University's St Joseph Medical Center was looking into buying a used riverine warfare craft and converting it into a mobile care unit for use on the Missouri. They already had an early Mobile ICU and the local helicopter/LifeFlight, so they passed.
Anyone else operate an EMS BOAT?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Last edited by a moderator:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
FDNY has their new FAST boats which are designed with patient care in mind

My agency operates a 28ft closed cabin dual outboard for water rescues along about 10 miles of the NJ coast and feeding rivers

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
One of the LAFD Fire Boats has a patient care suite on board if I'm not mistaken.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
10_EMS_group_more.jpg

PrincetonEMS_InflatableArch.jpg
boat.jpg

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
most places use boats to get the person out of the water, and transported to land. It's like a parmedic rescue teams, nice in theory, but usually it's just BLS stuff until the person is removed from the hazardous situations. Basic interventions only, wait on ALS until they get off the waterway.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
most places use boats to get the person out of the water, and transported to land. It's like a parmedic rescue teams, nice in theory, but usually it's just BLS stuff until the person is removed from the hazardous situations. Basic interventions only, wait on ALS until they get off the waterway.

Seems like a good idea to me.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We patrol our 80 acre lake in the summertime with the cops. It's a great way to get OT and work on your tan.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Lake of the Ozarks - Missouri has a few Fire Rescue boats that have EMS gear.

730303232_985ffc7f01_z.jpg

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You know, with that much freeboard, one would think they would all have a winch or Hoyer lift or something to remove patients from the drink other than people treading water handing off to others leaning over the gunnels.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You know, with that much freeboard, one would think they would all have a winch or Hoyer lift or something to remove patients from the drink other than people treading water handing off to others leaning over the gunnels.

Many have a water level dive platform at the stern or a dive door in the gunwale.

Or a rescue net like this.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
My company used to have a boat, but that was when times were good and EMS was something the community actually cared about...

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
There used to be Medic assigned to the PD Marine Unit during the summer. Great spot for a senior medic to take a break for a few months. Over the years PD invested a lot in the medics sending them to the same courses as their crews and they became integral parts of the team.

The patient load was incredibly light but I think the value added was the community was there. The Marine unit focused more on education and building positive relationships on the water. Rather than write tickets for missing safety equipment, they would give boaters what they were missing. Medics might not have had many patients but they offered advice and helped educate the public.

The program was suspended when our Special Operations unit started making eyes at taking over the unit prompting a review of the program. There's some debate over what finally killed the medic spot but either way I think it's a loss to the service.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

most of these boats have a swim or dive step on the transom right at water level. it is actually very easy to get patients on board.

My current employer does not have a boat, but the sheriff has two hoist airships with medics who can hoist out and the fire department has boats and wave runners. the lifeguards and harbor patrol also has boats.

SFox3325

Forum Probie
My agency has one V hall (Rescue 5), one Flat bottom (Ice Rescue 2), and one Zodiac (Resce 6). Plus the Fire Department has two boats as well.