Best way to endure terrible smells?

EMedCounsel

Forum Probie
Master the fine art of not breathing. I don't recommend mouth breathing because you run the risk of tasting that foul odor.

Lol. I thought I was the only one who would rather entertain a fowl odor through his nose, rather than his mouth.

The majority of guy's I've worked with just push on, and power through any unpleasant odors.

OP
OP
U

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
"Air freshener" usually masks odors with powerful odor-releasing chemicals you choose the "flavor" of.

Manufacturers do not test these for safety as an inhalant. I have heard allergists say not to use particular products because they see reactions amongst their asthmatic patients.

Most have a propellant of some sort (CO2, isopropane, etc) which is not good to inhale, plus a volatile aromatic and usually some sort of solvent (alcohol usually) so it can be uniformly dispensed once shaken up*. Nothing good. Maybe chew a strong flavored gum while wearing a mask?

Just so we're clear, I'm not suggesting Febreeze or any sort of household aerosol product. This is what I'll spray on the outside of a mask: http://www.metromedicalonline.com/mediaire-1oz.html#.U11LLUtX_Ww

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Anything that claims to be "organic" and "rejuvenate the air" and doesn't list its ingredients but doesn't suggest topical skin application isn't going over my face. Just picky that way.

We used to hang "harmless" "no pest strips" (plastic 4X10 strips impregnated with Dichlorvos insecticide, like a big cattle ear tag) in pt rooms to keep out flies etc. Soon the pts turned up with insecticide in their urine and blood. Gotta be careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorvos

OP
OP
U

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Anything that claims to be "organic" and "rejuvenate the air" and doesn't list its ingredients but doesn't suggest topical skin application isn't going over my face. Just picky that way.

We used to hang "harmless" "no pest strips" (plastic 4X10 strips impregnated with Dichlorvos insecticide, like a big cattle ear tag) in pt rooms to keep out flies etc. Soon the pts turned up with insecticide in their urine and blood. Gotta be careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorvos

The ingredients are listed right there under the "details" tab:
Contains:
Water, SD alcohol 40, polysorbate 20, triethylene glycol, fragrance, benzethonium chloride, tetrasodium EDTA, and FD&C colors.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The ingredients are listed right there under the "details" tab:
Contains:
Water, SD alcohol 40, polysorbate 20, triethylene glycol, fragrance, benzethonium chloride, tetrasodium EDTA, and FD&C colors.

Oh, thanks!
Accounts point it out as a notably low-toxic disinfectant . Hm. Apparently Ozium has similar properties (the marijuana crowd juhsed to swear it had ozone and it's still touted as a dope deodorant).

Bchavez

Forum Ride Along
Handheld Nebulizer with mouthwash or orange juice usually makes my nose pretty happy on the fouler smelling calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I woule never put vics under my nose. If I am in an area that smells horrible the last thing I want to do is have my nasal passages opened even more. I also would want to be able to smell for the rest of the week.

Bchavez

Forum Ride Along
Ah, negative. Back of the rig only. And that's if your hands aren't tied up. Not an end all, just an option to make it bearable.