Best Private To Work For In Chicago???

GetBackOnTheTrain

Forum Ride Along
Just got licensed as an EMT-B and need some guidance with which privates in Chicago i should consider. Any Chicago EMT-B's willing to share your thoughts/experiences with which private I should target and which I should stay away from would be much appreciated.

BillThompson

Forum Probie
In terms of pay and benefits, as well as available/flexible hours, the answer is Superior hands down. They pay the most of any private, offer lots of chances for OT, have a decent insurance package, have flexible scheduling options from full time all the way down to PRN. Plus, no more ties as of a month or so ago. It's not a perfect company by any means, and there will be days where you have to resist the urge to punch someone. But if you're looking for steady work and a company that isn't in any danger of suddenly going under then Superior is your best option.

OP
OP
G

GetBackOnTheTrain

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your response. I have a few follow up questions about Superior....

Do you know what what starting pay is for EMT-B at Superior?

Does Superior require licensed EMT-B's to pass a written and practical exam?

Do EMT-B's only do IFT?

How much patient contact experience will I get as an EMT-B?

BillThompson

Forum Probie
1) $11 an hour.

2) Yes, though the written test is a small 20 question affair and the practical is actually just a physical lifting test.

3) Nope, though it depends on what system/station you end up in. There are some system/stations that are Medic/Basic. I believe the Rockford station is the only station that does legitimate 911 as they have a contract with RFD as a 911 back-up (like every private in Rockford does). But, you'll get plenty of 911 level calls out of nursing homes and the like.

4) Plenty, as in most likely every single day you'll have contact with a lot of patients. Only way you won't have much is if you end up on a CCT truck where you're viewed as just a driver or at a station/system where they operate under a policy where the Medic has to run every call. You'll still get patient contact in that scenario, but not as much and you'll never be the lead on a call or write the report, etc.

crazyjoedivola

Forum Ride Along
I was an EMT-B there several years ago. You get a paperwork bonus on top of your normal hourly. Which means the paperwork you submit to corporate needs to be filled out accurately.

Their orientation is very good. If you've never driven an ambulance before be ready to do so through an obstacle course.

I spent 2 years there and never had an "emergency". All the calls were IFT and to patients' homes but still a learning experience. You will see exactly how nursing homes are run and you will meet all kinds of people/patients from all walks of life.