Best E.M.T. Training program in or near Aurora, CO?

Odvious

Forum Ride Along
Pro's and cons are welcome as well as past experiences :)

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I will start by saying that where you go to EMT school isn't horribly important. Also, most EMT programs in CO are on relatively equal footing. I have never encountered a group of EMT-students that were ill-prepared by any particular program, or any group that was very well prepared (the same can not be said about paramedic students).

That all said, CCA is the "Aurora School". The majority of instructors are from Aurora FD (not exactly something to brag about but in this case it doesn't matter), most of your rides would be done in Aurora with either Rural/Metro or AFD (or both).
I personally would recommend either Denver Health's EMT program or HealthONE's program, both have affiliated Paramedic schools that are very well respected and very intelligent and capable instructors. You will get college credits through either Arapahoe CC or CC- Denver and can further your education at either community college if you want to be a medic (or a better basic).

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Now, I have nothing to back this up, but I heard that CCA is in trouble financially as well. Maybe don't go there. SSAL is correct, EMT school is the same most places, location should not matter much. I have yet to meet a new grad EMT that was better than another based on which program they attended.

Jeff

EMS_Carl

Forum Ride Along
I finished my EMT-Basic program Spring 2010 through Denver Health and loved it. The instructors are very qualified, intelligent, and down to earth. You'll get really valuable clinical experience (Denver Health medics respond to a ton of good calls, they're a very busy EMS system) and the credits are through the Community College of Denver, so like Shocksalot said it's great for continued education. It's not horribly out of the way either from Aurora, so distance isn't a huge issue.

I'm not sure how much other EMT programs charge, but for the 10.5 credit hour Basic course, it runs a little over $1,000 after the COF stipend is applied. Well worth the investment. And I also recently finished taking the EKG and IV courses the school offers. Once again well worth the money. I'm waiting to hear back on whether or not I got accepted into this Fall's Paramedic School class, but I can tell you I've got my fingers crossed. What can I say, I love the school!

All, obviously, based on personal experience, but I hope it helps. And like the others have said, where you go isn't the biggest factor by a long shot. In my classes there were star-performers as well as total screw-ups. But if you're ready to commit, Denver Health is an awesome choice and you'll feel totally prepared to get into EMS.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I actually went to Front Range Community College for my EMT-B. The instructors were alright, some very experienced, some not so experienced but still knew their stuff. My only issue was I did my rides with Pridemark in Boulder County, good medics but not a lot of call volume.

From what I have heard around the area Denver Health is the place to go.

mtbee

Forum Ride Along
I did my EMT-B , IV and EKG at Front Range CC as well - at the Westminster campus. Ambulance rides were with Northglenn and Pridemark; hospital rounds at North Suburban. I felt like it was a good program.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I love HealthONE's instructors and was willing to make the trip down to Englewood to take additional courses even though CCA is much closer. I haven't heard the best things about Arapahoe Community College's program from friends who went there. I believe the only other one in the metro area that hasn't been addressed is Red Rocks. They have an alright program with some great instructors but because they have the fire science degree program you can expect a lot of fire influence. I forgot - South Metro fire now offers an EMT course. A friend who took that one enjoyed it but again heavy on the fire influence.

Sent from my telefono