Best Ambulance Company to work for in So. Cal

OP
OP
J

jw213

Forum Probie
AMR is currently in the process of acquiring Bowers so I would wait and see what happens... you may be working at AMR in just a couple months

Edit: Why look at LA when theres people here telling you that Hall Ambulance (Kern Co.) is pretty much a diamond in a goats arse. Im going back to my first post on this thread saying that the grass truly is greener on the other side.
I was thinking about Hall ambulance also, but it's 2 hours away from LA and Bakersfield is pretty far.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I was thinking about Hall ambulance also, but it's 2 hours away from LA and Bakersfield is pretty far.

I commuted 300 miles (5 hours) last year for a 72 hr shift. Im not to educated on Hall but I believe they work a rotating Kelly schedule XoXoXoooo I believe thats what they work. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
We have a ton of different shifts people can bid on.

5 8hr shifts

4 10hr shifts (first and back half?

3/4 12 hr shifts (first, back , school schedule , and everyone weekend on/off schedule)

24hr XoXoXoXoooo (then when you come back it's 6 off instead of 4)
XoXoXoXoooooo

48hr XXOOXXOOXXOOOOOOOO (8 days off)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When I interviewed at Hall something like 2 years ago, they said as a new EMT they only had the 3/4 12 hr shifts (I think it was Sun,M,T, e.o. W and vice versa?). Now I can't remember specifically if that was because that was the only openings available at the time, or if all new EMTs get that schedule and whichever case it's probably changed since then lol.

A little closer to LA if you're unable to move/commute to Bakersfield, my department, Glendale Fire we will almost guaranteed have an EMT Ambulance Operator application period opening up in the next few weeksor month or so. Starting pay is about 13/hr, 100% 911, in station response, transport all ALS/BLS calls (unlike some other AO programs with a mix of fire medic ALS and AO BLS ambulances, all our ambulances are AOs with the medics on the engine so you won't get cancelled just cuz it's a non routine call lol) Granted they mirror the application process to that of the FFs so it won't be apply, tedt, interview and start all in one month, more like ~9-12 so def take Bowers/AMR/ whoever tou want in the meantime

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
3 platoons (shifts) on a Kelly schedule, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off (XOXOXOOOO). 4 of our 6 ambulances are 24 hours (officially 0730-0730, unofficially shift change typically happens closer to 0630-0645 in reality). The other 2 ambulances are 12 hour shifts, both 0730-1930, otherwise same schedule. Overtime is readily available, paid as time and a half after 40 hours in the week. Entry level is 13/hr, I'm at 15/hr after a little over a year there now.

OP
OP
J

jw213

Forum Probie
When I interviewed at Hall something like 2 years ago, they said as a new EMT they only had the 3/4 12 hr shifts (I think it was Sun,M,T, e.o. W and vice versa?). Now I can't remember specifically if that was because that was the only openings available at the time, or if all new EMTs get that schedule and whichever case it's probably changed since then lol.

A little closer to LA if you're unable to move/commute to Bakersfield, my department, Glendale Fire we will almost guaranteed have an EMT Ambulance Operator application period opening up in the next few weeksor month or so. Starting pay is about 13/hr, 100% 911, in station response, transport all ALS/BLS calls (unlike some other AO programs with a mix of fire medic ALS and AO BLS ambulances, all our ambulances are AOs with the medics on the engine so you won't get cancelled just cuz it's a non routine call lol) Granted they mirror the application process to that of the FFs so it won't be apply, tedt, interview and start all in one month, more like ~9-12 so def take Bowers/AMR/ whoever tou want in the meantime
O ya Glendale gonna have a opening soon nice I wanted to apply last time they had a opening but I wasnt certified at that time, but now I'm gonna apply and try to get that job. Thanks for the heads up :D

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice. 13 start on a 24 is not too bad. That's more than what san bernardino county AO PARAMEDICS are paid. They are 11.96 to 13,xx

CALEMT

Man I missed the SBCo AO applications by a couple days...

CALEMT

I would double dip between AMR part time (REMS) and county AO.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Hall ambulance Emts step 1 for a 8/10 is almost $15 damn. It sucks down there in LA.
This is way better than Rural Metro IFT up here in the Bay Area was going to pay me. My starting pay was $11.75 ;(

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Really? They belong to Local 911/UEMSW pay rates $18.00 to start for emt. Same with AMR who belongs to the same union in CoCo.
Even with it being IFT??? The papers that I signed said $11.75. So it should've been $18?

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Yes lol all of RM up there is union same with amr. They belong to United EMS Workers.
Wow. Glad I ended up turning down the offer. Feel like I dodge a possible bullet there. I'm glad that AMR is coming in and taking over.

OP
OP
J

jw213

Forum Probie
Quick update I was getting ready to start working for Bowers ambulance starting on the 17th, and as I was getting my physical on Tues waiting for 2 hours at the hospital. I got a call from PRN(the original company I wanted to work for), and they are no longer having a hiring freeze, and got the phone call today and was hired. If anyone is wondering how PRN hiring process is they will have a group interview with you 2-3 people, a written test(30 questions), and a patient assessment test. I also got a interview lined up for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center as a EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT LOGISTICS TECH working the night shift. So I am thinking maybe work the morning shift for PRN and the night with Cedars-Sinai. I still have a skilled test scheduled with AMR, but I think I will just cancel that because PRN pay rate isn't to bad, and almost the same as PRN. Again thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate everyone input and recommendations.