becoming an EMT

Lindsayb617

Forum Ride Along
How long do you have to go to school to become an EMT and what does the schooling involve? I am very interesting in becoming one. What kind of qualifications do you have to have? Thanks. ~Lindsay

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Moved to appropriate forum.

EMTgurl911

Forum Crew Member
When I became a emt you first have to go to a school that provides emt basic classes. The program takes about 5-6 months as what I could remember for myself. It's pretty hard so you have to really have to be serious into doing this type of work. Basically when you are in school you learn everything you can do as in first aid and a little more. You basically got to handle some suitations where you can't imagine. If you think this is just a cool job becuase you get to ride around in a ambulance, you're wrong, it's a lot more than that. I knew a lot of people who wanted the job because they thought it was cool and went to school for something totally opposite of what this job contains.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
my emt-b was 3 months. 3 nights a week for 4 hours a night, we got one ride along and that was about it...(totaled around 130 hours i believe) i was expecting more but there are other threads to talk about emt classes. for my emt-p, around 700 hours of class and i spent near 1200 hours in clinicals. a little more intense i would say

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The Basic EMT is based upon a National Curriculum governed by the National Highways Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Most courses are set at a minimum of 120 to 150 clock hours. How that is taught is dependent upon State and local ordinances. There are some taught as little as two weeks in length and some as described as long as a semester length.

The curriculum is set at a minimal knowledge level for entry point into the EMS the system. Some states have expanded the curriculum foundation so EMT's can perform some additional skills while some may not, that is why there is such difference, fragmentation and diversity in the EMT level. The national curriculum is acknowledged to be just above advanced first-aid level. Most skills performed can be done without special equipment and with repetitive practice one can master them.

As well most states, requires clinical observation and performance. Again, not all states do; as well clinical hours and placement can vary too. Majority require the minimum of 8-24 clinical hours in the field and or Emergency Department.

Entry qualifications according to the NHTSA is that one should be at least the minimum age of 18, good health (emotionally and physically), be able to lift above 150 pounds to waist level, and have graduated from high school or equivalent GED.

Working conditions vary dependent on where you work, as well as pay (if any), hours, and benefits.

Please realize there are several hundred thousands of unemployed EMT's out there. Yes, there are jobs wanting EMT's, many not in emergency EMS rather transport systems and associated non emergency health care settings. As well, if paid (many are volunteer) usually are at minimum wage to lower income level.

We need good competent EMT's that are truly interested in advancing in the system. Working their way up albeit entering and going toward the highest level (Paramedic) or working at a local EMS.

Not to be bring one down, but honest, straight answer. Just realize many have admiration's of being an EMT and do complete the training, but very few ever get to work in an emergency service.

I wish you luck in your endeavour.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
My schooling is Tuesdays and Thursdays 6-8:50pm. I am looking forward to starting, already looks like I can get a job somewhere being on call. Already met with supervisor and all and introduced myself.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
are you planning on moving up after you get your basic cert? if you are go for the degree. it makes classes all that much better.

fireguy553

Forum Ride Along
most places around here wont recognize emt-b anymore around here. it is just a little bit above first responder. i went to emt-iv school. it was about 9 months - 2 days a week for 3 hours a night as well as 48 hours of ride alongs and 16 hours of clinicals in the er. the class was pretty hard but i learned so much and thought it was very interesting. good luck