Becoming an EMT, some questions for all EMT,Paramedics,and firefighters

TS82177

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I'm currently an active duty soldier deployed overseas at the moment. When I return home I'm planning on enrolling into the EMS program at my local community college. Well my first question is at the cc they offer a fire science/EMT program and also an EMS program. I would like to eventually work for a fire dept. but I dont think that program actually gets you the FF certs, just a degree in fire science. So I dont know which degree program I would be better off with? Eventually I would also like to become a paramedic, I see a lot of job openings for firefighter/paramedic throughout the US, so is it pretty easy to get hired?
A friend of mine on my team is a paramedic, he worked for AMR in LA for 2 yrs before he came here. I been studying his EMT book, which is good because any questions I have I can just ask him, so I'll have a little head start on things.

OP
OP
T

TS82177

Forum Ride Along
Heres a little more info on the programs they offer.
The EMS degree is a 2 yr degree, you earn your EMT and Paramedic degree once you graduate.
Second is regular EMT, only takes a couple semesters
Third is EMT with some added courses, like rescuing/ extrication, a couple BIO classes, and a writing class.
Fourth one is the Fire/EMT course, it does certify you in level 1, and level 2 firefighting, aswell as EMT basic.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Do the two year degree in EMS. Many large municipal FD's(like mine) will train you for FF1/2 in the academy, so don't waste your time with fire certs until after your EMS training. There is much less competition for the firemedic position vs a regular FF/EMT spot. In fact, my dept is currently hiring medics only.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Depending on your location, you need to check the colleges on base.

I am currently assisting with another EMT class here in Afghanistan.

Central Texas College and Univ Of Maryland which caters to service members has a rep at almost every single location, even some of the FOBs. If you are at one of the larger bases, they most certainly are offering the EMT course.

My advice is to scurry down there and sign up and at least get your EMT out of the way. Then when you come back, pursue your degree for Paramedics science or fire science or dual enroll. Either way, having your EMT out of the way may help your situation and give you something to keep you busy while deployed.

All of this of course under the assumption that you are in IRQ or AFG. Otherwise, I shut up now. :)

OP
OP
T

TS82177

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the advice.
AKflightmedic, I looked into the emt course in bagram, but with my job theirs no way I would have time, plus I dont want to learn EMT training online. The army is sending me home because my unit ended stop loss.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Get your medic.

Most depts will pay you to go to their fire academy if you're already a medic.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Call the college you are looking at and speak with an advisor. Some c.c. such at those in Florida also have a Fire Academy. A degree in Fire Science may be beneficial for future advancement within a FD. Larger progressive departments will promote those that have a 4 year degree in something so many start with a degree in F.S. (or some EMS) and then get a 4 year degree in Management.

If you believe medicine is your true calling, although you did mention fire department, then you can go for the degree in EMS. For some FDs, an EMT cert will suffice to get hired. However, many FDs now want everyone to have a Paramedic cert. There are plenty of medic mills that will get you a cert in a short period of time. However, that route is not the best if you want to be a good Paramedic.

In some areas such as in Florida, the Paramedic cert is suggested and that may still bring in over 1000 applications, many with a Paramedic cert listed, each time they have a hiring period at some departments. However, Oakland, California dropped even their EMT requirement for FF and go over 10,000 applications to fill 20 positions. So yes, in some areas it is very competitive.

You must decide what you want to concentrate on initially. If this is just a way to get a decent paying job with benefits and neither FF or EMT matters to you except for the job requirements, it doesn't really matter.

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
Don't have anything to add except to say, thank you for your service, and good luck with your training whether you start it there or when you come home!