Becoming a PA

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Ive been contimplating the idea of becoming a PA. The only problem is, i didnt do too good in high school. I didnt fail or anything but i also wasnt the top of my class. I havent gone to college yet but im only 18. Im an EMT and i was wondering if that will help me get into college. And after college, how hard would it be for me to get into a PA course?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Find out what PA schools you want tp go to, find out their requirements and head off to community college. Some schools only require an associates, and some a bachelors, depends on the school you want to go to.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Since i never had a good guidance counselor in HS, can you please explain the difference between an associates and bachelors degree.

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
You're going to need to get your Bachelors Degree then apply to PA schools. If you do well in community college, you should be able to get into a University without too much trouble. Do well in University and you should be able to get into a good PA Program without too much trouble. I don't think that HS grades will have much of anything to do with your process at that point.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
But will my highschool grades stop me from getting into a college? Im hoping having so many hours of being a voulenteer EMT (since i was 16) will help on my transcript.

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
But will my highschool grades stop me from getting into a college? Im hoping having so many hours of being a voulenteer EMT (since i was 16) will help on my transcript.

I dont think you will run into any problems. As long as you graduated, you should be fine. Most CCs make you take an assessment test to enroll. The test is designed to test your competency in Math, English, etc. It is done so you know which level classes you should start with. CCs usually dont require you to be accepted to enroll like Universities do.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
Nah, man. Anyone can take classes at a community college/University. If you have the money and the equivalent of a High School degree, your golden. The school isn't going to turn away money. Some bachelors degree programs require a certain GPA to be accepted, usually around a 3.0 average depending on the course of study. Since your going for a PA, you will need to keep up with the grades and stay on top of things. Starting at a community college for the first two years and getting your general education classes out of the way would be a great way to start things off.

As mentioned, HighSchool grades really don't matter. I've had friends who were C and D students in high school, who later went on to become software and systems engineers.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Yea my freshman and sophomore year of highschool i had about a 3.7 gpa but then junior and senior year it went way down cause of family issues and i got caught up in other things. When i actually try i could get great grades.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
Yea my freshman and sophomore year of highschool i had about a 3.7 gpa but then junior and senior year it went way down cause of family issues and i got caught up in other things. When i actually try i could get great grades.

Pshh, sounds like you shouldn't even be worried then. I suggest going down to a community college and talking with an adviser. I think your making it out to be more intimidating than it really Is. :)

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everybody. And while on the discussion, how much more can a PA do than a medic

In CA a PA can make anywhere between $75k and $110k+ depending on where you work and who you work for. There are many specialties to consider as well.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Go to a community college and transfer or try to get into a CSU if you think a UC is a long shot. Do well, knock out the pre-reqs for the PA program (look them up, I don't know them off the top of my head), do well, and apply to PA school.

I meant how many more procedures and meds can they give

16. What is the scope of [a physician assistant's] practice?

Article 4 of the Committee's regulations addresses PA practice. You may want to review Title 16, California Code of Regulations sections 1399.540 through 1399.546 for information regarding the supervision of PAs.

The scope of a given PA's practice is limited by his/her supervising physician. Whatever medical specialty a physician practices (e.g., general practice, cardio-thoracic surgery, dermatology, etc.) limits your scope of practice. The Delegation of Services Agreement between you and your supervising physician then further defines exactly what tasks and procedures are being delegated to you. These tasks and procedures must be consistent with your supervising physician's specialty or usual and customary practice and with the patient's health and condition.

Before authorizing a PA to perform any medical procedure, the physician is responsible for evaluating your education, experience, knowledge, and ability to perform the procedure safely and competently.

A PA may not perform any of the following medical services pursuant to Business and Professions Code section 3502 (c):

* The determination of the refractive states of the eye, or the fitting or adaptation of lenses or frames.
* The prescribing or directing the use of, or using any optical device in connection with ocular exercises, visual training or orthoptics.
* The prescribing, fitting or adaptation of contact lenses.
* The practice of dentistry or dental hygiene or the work of a dental auxiliary.

http://www.pac.ca.gov/licensees/licensee_faq.shtml#16

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Do you guys think its a waste if i want to be a PA and work in the ER or ICU. I could never imagine working in an office, i love the ER too much.

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Do you guys think its a waste if i want to be a PA and work in the ER or ICU. I could never imagine working in an office, i love the ER too much.

Not at all. My cousin is a PA in an ER and loves it. Its great pay and you'll a sizable scope. If the ER is what you love, then it sounds like a good way to go. :)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Ive been contimplating the idea of becoming a PA. The only problem is, i didnt do too good in high school. I didnt fail or anything but i also wasnt the top of my class. I havent gone to college yet but im only 18. Im an EMT and i was wondering if that will help me get into college. And after college, how hard would it be for me to get into a PA course?

You have to do well in college. You high school GPA means nothing.

PA programs look at your college level science classes and health care experience mostly. It varies with the program.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
All the healthcare programs I've ever looked at "care" about your science/prerequisite GPA and sometimes your overall GPA (sometimes just your most recent 60 units). I've never seen one that looks at your HS grades... just perhaps that you've graduated from HS. PA school (from what I've heard) is not easy. You will learn a lot though. Your scope of practice... can be very restrictive to pretty darned broad, but you'll always have a Physician that delegates to you what you can do. If you like the medical end of things, PA is a good way to go if you don't want to be a Physician. I thought about it myself. Probably not the way for me right now...

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
What you need to do is move to michigan because a there is a school near me that all that is requires is your EMT-B and thats it. its a 2 year program but is supposed to be very tough. they said their logic is most PA schools were taking students with out any medical background and with associates and bachelors degrees in things like communications so why shouldn't they make it easier on people by taking people with some basic knowledge and letting them in.