Bay Area ambulance companies?

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Well for any of you in the Bay area workings for any ambulance companies i want your feed back

right now Im applying to several companies (cant do AMR because they are only hiring full time and i need part time cause of school) but the companies I've been looking at are NorCal Ambulance, Golden State Ambulance, and WestMed Ambulance. All i really know about them is what i have seen on their websites and from talking to their human resources people.

So any of you heard anything about any of these companies or work for any of them, ideally I want as much 911 Experience as i can get but that not looking hopeful if I'm not working AMR.

Redheadedpleasure

Forum Ride Along
Hello all!

It feels great to join a forum where everyone shares the same interests in transportation of the sick and injured as I do. Look forward to reading the various posts. :)

CAPilot55

Forum Crew Member
Hey Mowing Mawk..not sure of all the companies in bay area that run BLS and ALS, but..Did you hear of AMR hiring or what?

OP
OP
TheMowingMonk

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
yeah, I know this is a really old post, I have actually been working for AMR almost two years now, been alot of fun

OP
OP
TheMowingMonk

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I work in Santa Clara county, and they wont be hiring medics any time soon, they are currently overstaffed with medics as are most of the bay area counties

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Heh, I was reading your post and I was like "What?! AMR hiring?", but then I read the date of the post. My friend has been waiting about a year to get into academy for EMT for scc, haha. He's 8th (or something like that; one of the top 10 I know) on the list so next acamedy, but thanks to Paramedic Plus taking alco, it looks like they'll never have an academy ever again in scc, haha. :p For EMTs, I see Royal is hiring in both SCC and ALCO, but doesn't look like you'll get a lot of 911 experience (and I have a friend who just started working for Royal who says "yeh, mostly IFTs").

911Knight

Forum Probie
Funny, I am on that same AMR list and have been for a year in Santa Clara County. I am # 10. Does anybody know when they will start picking up EMT'S?

OP
OP
TheMowingMonk

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
when ever they start picking up medics, then the EMTs that are medics waiting for jobs will move up and leave EMT openings. But right now they are overstaffed in both departments as far as I know

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Plus they are losing alco so it's unlikely to be soon.

In other news... SCC EMS Agency is a pain. Didn't receive my temporary cert by deadline (today is the deadline they gave me) and they never cashed my checked so I am assuming something went wrong... terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TheMowingMonk

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Plus they are losing alco so it's unlikely to be soon.

In other news... SCC EMS Agency is a pain. Didn't receive my temporary cert by deadline (today is the deadline they gave me) and they never cashed my checked so I am assuming something went wrong... terrible.

They dont give out temporary Certs, they just make the final one and send that to you, but it cause take some time for them so make the card. And you dont get a badge until you are working for a company cause they only give the badges to your employer and you have to get the badge from them. The only thing they give you directly is the wallet card, so if your just getting the cert and dont have a job lined up yet youll only get a wallet card

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
They dont give out temporary Certs, they just make the final one and send that to you, but it cause take some time for them so make the card. And you dont get a badge until you are working for a company cause they only give the badges to your employer and you have to get the badge from them. The only thing they give you directly is the wallet card, so if your just getting the cert and dont have a job lined up yet youll only get a wallet card

on the plus side, the SCC badge is way cooler than SF county! all flashy like with your photo and can clip onto your uniform and everything. the SF county ems card is teh lame.... you actually have to cut it out yourself and it's on non-laminated paper!

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
They dont give out temporary Certs, they just make the final one

Actually, Santa Clara County actually is now issuing temporary certs because of the transition to the Central CA EMT Registry. The updated policy can be reviewed here:

http://www.sccemsagency.org/SCC/doc...vices (DEP)/attachments/EMT2010memotoEMTs.pdf

Sorry to hear about your headache Aprz...it just happens to be a very busy time for them because of this new background check system and reporting to the state being implemented right now.

OP
OP
TheMowingMonk

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Oh yeah, the had mentioned at work some of the changes to Santa Clara County cert policies, I just never followed up on it, I guess its still happening, I never heard anything else about it so I was thinking it wasn't going to happen. after looking over the stuff looks like it will be some more fees.....yay

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Well, I did it before the temporary cert change (that happened on 7/1) so good for me.

seedlesscannon

Forum Probie
anybody have info on westmed a als company in santa clara? im trying to move north from san diego but am having a hard time finding employment as a medic.

OP
OP
TheMowingMonk

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
anybody have info on westmed a als company in santa clara? im trying to move north from san diego but am having a hard time finding employment as a medic.

for ALS they just do interfacility ALS-T transports, rarely they can get pulled into the 911 system of ambulance level for AMR get too low. But 99% of what they do is interfacility, heard its a good company to work for though

NewportEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hey Mowing Monk,

I've always wanted to work with AMR, no other company.

Now, I've got myself an interview with AMR in SCC, Livermore station, in just a few days. Any advice on what they will be covering as for skills? Also, what is this I hear about a waiting list after you're hired? That would sure suck if someone quit their job and found out AMR had only placed you on the waiting list.

I'm assuming now that Rural Metro has taken over SCC, there are a lot of changes to AMR down here.

Thanks,
Jon