Basics First

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Been a while since I've had to use this.

signadmin1.gif

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
This one time, the patient started complaining of the feeling of not being able to breathe. And then they showed obvious signs of discomfort, and his O2 sats started to drop. It was obvious he needed some help. While the doctor and attending called out for a nurse to do something, they then paged respiratory. RT and RN grabbed a non-breather and started fumbling with untangling the tubing, all the while you could sense the panic and urgency in the air as the patient was now extremely anxious and declining in front of our eyes.

I decided to not hold back...all these smart people and nothing was happening....so I reached over and sat the patient upright. Ahhh, immediate relief. The patient calmed down, sats increased, decreased effort to breathe...we all smiled, high fived and thought how close of a call that was!

I believed your story until you stated "o2 sats." The vital sign, as any hero knows, is clearly "o2 sTats." Therefore I have a hard time believing that this actually happened.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I believed your story until you stated "o2 sats." The vital sign, as any hero knows, is clearly "o2 sTats." Therefore I have a hard time believing that this actually happened.

I legit was going to write that!! However, I have such a hard time writing things incorrectly...and it would have pained me daily for years to come had I done that. Especially once the time to edit period has lapsed...it is there forever!

OP
OP
RedBlanketRunner

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
This one time, the patient started complaining of the feeling of not being able to breathe. And then they showed obvious signs of discomfort, and his O2 sats started to drop. It was obvious he needed some help. While the doctor and attending called out for a nurse to do something, they then paged respiratory. RT and RN grabbed a non-breather and started fumbling with untangling the tubing, all the while you could sense the panic and urgency in the air as the patient was now extremely anxious and declining in front of our eyes.

I decided to not hold back...all these smart people and nothing was happening....so I reached over and sat the patient upright. Ahhh, immediate relief. The patient calmed down, sats increased, decreased effort to breathe...we all smiled, high fived and thought how close of a call that was!
Sounds like an incident, physician and assists in ER doing ? with patient. I was at the door wrestling with a stretcher and just saw this group, a commotion, then an ER nurse walk over, drop the head of the gurney and elevate the legs. Problem solved she walked away.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Sounds like an incident, physician and assists in ER doing ? with patient. I was at the door wrestling with a stretcher and just saw this group, a commotion, then an ER nurse walk over, drop the head of the gurney and elevate the legs. Problem solved she walked away.
81e.png

OP
OP
RedBlanketRunner

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
but if you’re only going to post here about how awesome you are
Well, dead honest here, serious max, all my postings of how fantastically wonderful I am carry a degree of irony. Technically, I'm the dregs. I rely on my years of experience, insight, empathy and of course, telepathy to get me through scenarios, normally surrounded by people far better trained and capable than myself. You want chest compressions, put me on it. I can run at any speed the team sup or the doc calls for. Want me to recall what dosage for that patient, I'm close to counting on my fingers and RTs could probably come up with a more accurate guesstimate in half the time. It felt great that I'd always get called to a code in ER. Frees up one person to handle the technical details. Got good compression going? I'm an ace at moving equipment and clearing the trash from the floor without getting in anyone's way. Charting? No problem. Give me the mundane stuff and let the real pros have at it. I'm the end all be all of a code team, logistics wise. I can easily spot if a nurse needs a stool or a piece of equipment will be called for. If we need ICU staffing assist. Where pieces of equipment could be better placed. Put on the ambulance I usually took lead, doing the periphery while the #2 did the patient. Let me handle the scene and equipment. Let me revert to my old much more familiar role of FF/EMT with years of experience at scene management. You on the patient will get what you need when you need it.

So, appleogies if it is felt required. I'm too old, too jaded, to take things and especially myself dead seriously. After all the messes I've been in and stupid moves I've made I'm amazed I've still got all my fingers and toes (though a few don't work quite right any more). I'll leave the finicky fussy surly snarly grumpy to you young uns.

Now how about some honesty from other quarters? Working the periphery, in the field or trauma room, how many times have you seen some top pro do a really forehead flattening blunder. -> Hey gal great work, now will you please GET YOUR ARSE OUT OF THAT TRAFFIC LANE! Or, that machine will work a lot better if you plug it in.
Good old lost in the minute details and leave it to the peon to cover them basiks.

Last edited:

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
You should stay in YOUR lane, instead of trying to call out others...based on your opinion, with no factual basis to create your posts on.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
adminsn1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.