Basic work experience

Browncoat

Forum Ride Along
I have the option of applying for a job at the highest volume ambulance service in my region or continuing on to paramedic school. Either way I will be getting my AAS but it's a matter of starting it next week or a year from now with some experience under my belt. Any thoughts or advice? On a side note: the job is about 50 miles away. Is that worth the drive for a 12 hour shift every other day?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I have the option of applying for a job at the highest volume ambulance service in my region or continuing on to paramedic school. Either way I will be getting my AAS but it's a matter of starting it next week or a year from now with some experience under my belt. Any thoughts or advice? On a side note: the job is about 50 miles away. Is that worth the drive for a 12 hour shift every other day?

Always an advocate for a job and experience. My observation as an instructor is that the experienced basic provider catches on more quickly to critical thinking skills. Good luck.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
...some experience under my belt...Is that worth the drive for a 12 hour shift every other day?

Let's put it this way: If you choose to dive in as a basic to get some experience, you will be bathed in the reality of offering good patient care.

If you work with paramedics, learn to be the best assistant to them that you can be. YOU be the Eagle Eye that makes sure each and every one of the basics are covered. IMHO, that's where you're going to learn their critical importance. (In fact, I'd much PREFER you got that experience BEFORE you become a paramedic, so Thanks for askin'!)

Basics are not just a cheap bridge that gets you to the side where you use the bells and whistles. They are the underlying structure of the call which ALLOWS all those bells and whistles to be used.

The value of consistent, on-scene exposure is that the basics will be so drummed into you, once a paramedic you will only have to "think" about advanced level care. All the basics will have been covered already, if not by you (effortlessly), than under your direction (not missing a thing).

I guess I'm talking about learning the art, here. It's worth the course!

ALMOST FORGOT: Where I live, a 50 mile drive takes me either into a desert, or a rain forest. The rain forest road is 617 curves and 54 one-lane bridges. All depends on what kinda fifty miles. If it's a drag to YOU, don't endure!

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
As an EMS educator I have found that the best Paramedic students are those that have not developed the bad habits and the know it all attitudes from spending time in the field.

Also I have seen many people say they will return to complete their education after working a year or two never to return as life just takes over.

Get your education first. Then with education you can develop all aspects of your patient care rather than piece mill.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I just have to clarify further. I do not get why so many just assume that because you do not work as a basic before becoming a Paramedic you automatically can not do basic level patient care. This is ridiculous. When in fact with higher education you can more properly handle the lower level patient care while at the same time being able to determine more accurately when you need to go to a higher level of patient care.

I find it funny when investigating the Paramedics that supposedly can not do lower level patient care per their basic partners, that the reason they jump to to the advanced level of patient care is because they presume their basic partner can, will, and should handle the lower level skills at the same time they are doing the advanced. Thus saves on scene time and allows patient to get to definitive care quicker.

So you can start off and stumble around how to talk to patients with basically no education or you can start off and do the same but at least have your education to rely on by going straight to Paramedic. Get your education, your patients will thank you for it, well maybe not but at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing you gave them a much better chance of getting proper care because you had education.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're saying it's a choice between starting school now or a year from now, I'd say do it now, before life interferes. Even if your degree doesn't help you get your first EMS job, it's likely that you'll have more long-term opportunities with a degree than without one.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I just have to clarify further. I do not get why so many just assume that because you do not work as a basic before becoming a Paramedic you automatically can not do basic level patient care. This is ridiculous. When in fact with higher education you can more properly handle the lower level patient care while at the same time being able to determine more accurately when you need to go to a higher level of patient care.

I find it funny when investigating the Paramedics that supposedly can not do lower level patient care per their basic partners, that the reason they jump to to the advanced level of patient care is because they presume their basic partner can, will, and should handle the lower level skills at the same time they are doing the advanced. Thus saves on scene time and allows patient to get to definitive care quicker.

So you can start off and stumble around how to talk to patients with basically no education or you can start off and do the same but at least have your education to rely on by going straight to Paramedic. Get your education, your patients will thank you for it, well maybe not but at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing you gave them a much better chance of getting proper care because you had education.

I so agree with this. Making good decisions in EMS relies on your general knowledge base. Maybe a CVA? Maybe an MI? Maybe a hand injury? What's the best hospital for that?

When I'm precepting EMT-Bs, I find that I spend half the time teaching them assessment skills that are covered in paramedic class. Really, the key to being a good EMS provider is in the assessment skills, and I don't mean OPQRST and SAMPLE.

Go to school, learn some pathophysiology. Pay attention and never slack off on your field rotations.

Then go to work in the busy system. If you can get on there part time while you're in school, go for it. But if you put off school, life really does get in the way.

Theo

Forum Crew Member
Everyone has their own path to walk, but I'd suggest taking care of your degree. I had the opportunity to finish school but decided to hold off finishing with my first child on the way. I planned on returning shortly thereafter, but life comes at you fast.

Now, almost ten years later, instead of having a decade of experience as a Paramedic under my belt, I'm just now finishing my EMS degree and starting my Paramedic career.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do whatever makes you the most comfortable as only you know what will help you succeed the most.

Remember, in Paramedic school you still get close to / more than 1000 hours of clinical and internship hours for experience to help you ease in to your new role.

Having said that, I did less than 7 shifts as an EMT before I quit and started Paramedic school. I don't regret it, I was at the top of my class, and I defy anyone I work with to say I have no clue what I'm talking about.

EMT experience is NOT comparable to Paramedic experience. The thought process, decisions, critical thinking, and scene management decisions are MUCH different the moment you work as a Paramedic.

feldy

Forum Captain
Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you get tired after a long drive and dont feel that you can do the job, then something that far is maybe not the best idea.

On the other hand if it gets you the experience that you want and maybe you are not ready for medic school, then go for it.

While it was not in EMS, one of my first jobs was about 45-50ish miles from my house (highway driving) in the Construction management industry. It took about and hour- 1hr 15min to get to work every morning w/ traffic but it was a great experience and although not expected when i took the job b.c i got it through a contact my dad knew from work, i ended up getting paid a lot of money. (probablly more than what i would make as a Basic).

So sometimes you have to go out of the way to do what is best for you.

Oiball

Forum Probie
Thank you all for these insights. I have recently felt a little bit of uncertainty regarding my decision to continue straight into Paramedic training. A big part of that decision was based on being in my mid-40s and having experienced some of "life getting in the way" of things. Only time will tell if it's the right course--I took my NREMT-B test today and start EMT-P classes tomorrow (I'm in Florida, so there is no middle ground).