Basic Wishing to Pursue Medic

drguitarum2005

Forum Ride Along
Howdy Folks,
I have been a basic for two years now practicing as a volunteer BLS responder when I'm not working. I work full time as an engineer (BS Mechanical Engineering) with a very irregular work schedule. I'd like to eventually get my Paramedic but understand the importance of getting my BLS stuff down pat first and laying a great foundation. Since I cannot attempt a traditional Medic course right now due to my schedule and I'm not even sure I have the time for an online or hybrid course (please save that discussion for another thread), I am wondering what I can be doing in the mean time to help myself along. I have obviously taken 4 years of Engineering classes but no A&P, o-chem, etc. What would be the best, smartest thing to do at this point to prepare? I am a great self-starter/studier so even if it isn't for credit, what would be a good start?

On a side note, since I am often traveling and always have my iPad and sometime laptop with me, are there any good ebooks/apps relating to Medic, anatomy, etc. that ya'll would recommend?

I might mention that while I am in the engineering field in practice, my heart is in the medical field! I haven't ruled out changing careers at some point to go into nursing, PA or RT!

Thanks for any input guys.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Buy a medic book or two.. Read it... understand it.. Post on here if you have any questions. Medic school is what you make of it. There all paper mills my IMO. If you have some places offer night courses.. I`d get a AP and chem book as well. Better if you can take the classes.. If you have any questions i`d be more then happy to help.

NomexMedic

Forum Crew Member
Buy a medic book or two.. Read it... understand it.. Post on here if you have any questions. Medic school is what you make of it. There all paper mills my IMO. If you have some places offer night courses.. I`d get a AP and chem book as well. Better if you can take the classes.. If you have any questions i`d be more then happy to help.
I agree with Legion. Get your pre-reqs out of the way and then go for it.

gw812

Forum Crew Member
Books: Anything dealing with A/P, quick-refs by InforMed and Brady.
Apps: Epocrates and Micromedex will help you learn drugs. There's a possibility that a local EMS provider has an app for protocols to learn terminology and treatments (example is Rockwall County EMS in Texas). InforMed does their quick-refs in app form too.
Courses: A/P, anything on the paramedicine track at your local community college, CPR for healthcare providers

Your EMT-B certification should be coming up for renewal soon so I'd say start now - paramedic school counts for renewal CE's if you don't pass.