Baptism by Fire

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Not EMS, but...

Was on my first fire today, a house fire (first since the fatal fire we had last December). I ended up making the second engine and pulled ceilings looking for the fire that was running in the attic, then after knockdown went up into the attic to make sure we didn't have any hot spots. Ended up sticking around to help with overhaul. All told, was on-scene for about five and half hours, so needless to say I'm hoping the pager stays quiet tonight (I got the ambulance at 6 PM).

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Here's a link to a brief article about the fire. I had to laugh about the headline. One of our guys who was on the first in attack line said that when they opened the door, they saw the dog hiding under a table and it bolted out the door as soon as they came in. One of the neighbors caught it outside.

I'd say the 20% damage estimate's way on the low side. Maybe 20% of the rooms/contents, but the attic had some severe damage in spots, and the rear deck is gone.

Dog rescued from blaze

Sierra Madre home severely damaged in fire

By Marshall Allen, Staff Writer

SIERRA MADRE -- Firefighters from multiple agencies extinguished flames that severely damaged a house at 34 W. Bonita Ave. on Thursday afternoon.
No one was home at the time of the fire except the family dog, which was rescued.

<read more here>

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It's a sick thing to say, but aren't structure fires so much fun?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The article is intense.

I never realized how much work firefighting is until I was on a fire standby. It's not like the fire apartment arrives, puts out the fire, and leaves the family with a completely scorched house. It seems firefighters are anal about making sure the fire is absolutely completely 100% without a doubt out :D

On top of that, they often clean up afterwards, and will even use huge fans to blow the smoke out.

Good job guys, I'm not sure how you do it, but it's a noble job.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Oct 16 2004, 08:40 PM
It seems firefighters are anal about making sure the fire is absolutely completely 100% without a doubt out :D

This is really simple...

WE DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO COME BACK FOR A REKINDLE!

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
we work smarter. not harder. plus... Have you sen the price of gas these days? I can't believe you would want to be aroused to go where you just were for the second time. and if you are an officer... it could be in your own car.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I think it's even simpler than that...

Do you really want to have to put all that hose away a SECOND time?

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Oct 15 2004, 11:12 PM
It's a sick thing to say, but aren't structure fires so much fun?
I'd have to agree with you on that one. On one hand, I feel very sorry for the owner and wish it hadn't happened. On the other, I'm glad I've had my first experience with the real deal. After the initial nervousness went away, it felt really natural after all the training.

Finally got to see the print version of that article tonight, and it had a couple pictures...including one of the Captain I was with about 10 seconds after I'd vacated the frame. Oh well, guess he gets to buy ice cream for everyone instead of me (tradition for getting your pic in the paper around here).

Ray1129

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Oct 16 2004, 11:01 PM
WE DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO COME BACK FOR A REKINDLE!

Yeah, and how embarassing is that to have to go back for a second time because you didn't "do it right" the first time? The whole county is laughing by the time the first alert finishes getting out....for the second time. :lol:

EMS Maniac

Forum Probie
Originally posted by MMiz@Oct 16 2004, 10:40 PM
The article is intense.

I never realized how much work firefighting is until I was on a fire standby. It's not like the fire apartment arrives, puts out the fire, and leaves the family with a completely scorched house. It seems firefighters are anal about making sure the fire is absolutely completely 100% without a doubt out :D

On top of that, they often clean up afterwards, and will even use huge fans to blow the smoke out.

Good job guys, I'm not sure how you do it, but it's a noble job.
We are anal, because we do not want to go back for a rekindle- that does not look to good. Also, my company is very much into public relations - we know it's hard enough to have to deal with the fire but the aftermath is worse - so we do what we can to make a wee bit less painful. I am only a probie firefighter and may never get further than that, but I have a huge respect for all my brothers and when I'm ridin' the bus - I am always glad to see that shiny engine come rolling in! :rolleyes:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Hehe... FIRE!!!

:( I won't be running into any burning buildings anytime soon - I gave up my class A status because of my back. For now I'll stick to the ambulance and being a hydrant monkey. Oh well. :( One day I'll be back.