Banned list

Sasha

Forum Chief
Only you can see your warnings, no one else.

Thank god, my infraction list is kinda long. (And hopefully not growing anymore.)

Summit

Critical Crazy
We don't think so. We view it more as a matter of privacy and respect of our members and not as a matter of public interest.

Several members have received temporary bans, and have come back to be productive members of the forum. What purpose would it serve for us to make a public post about a temporary ban, other than to humiliate the member receiving it?

But what do you care about the feelings of people you permban? It's not like you guys are the real police nor is a ban from this web forum equivalent to a black mark upon someone's soul.

Several members here were banned from another major EMS forum because the admins there were intolerant of expressing the types of opinions like I am right now. That's not a problem here. That place was not quiet about those bans... and who cares? It got them what they wanted actually. Those who disagreed with the bans left, the rest learned to keep their mouth shut or they agreed. A ban is right or wrong. Public knowledge of it doesn't make a good ban a bad ban. The same goes for post and thread issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's really none of your business why people get banned. You talk about the other place posting why people were banned, but you want to make us like them???

Sure, we're all curious, but when it comes right down to it, how does it affect you? The rules are posted for everyone to look at, if you don't violate the rules, you're fine.

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
Sure, we're all curious, but when it comes right down to it, how does it affect you? The rules are posted for everyone to look at, if you don't violate the rules, you're fine.

I am a Manager at work...
If somebody is constantly violating company rules/policy and everyone "sees it coming", it's one thing.
However, the occasional "Why did the heck did he get fired?" causes disruption and also kills morale.

When I see a seemly productive forum member get banned, I must admit that I am curious but understand that it's not my business.

Summit

Critical Crazy
It's really none of your business why people get banned. You talk about the other place posting why people were banned, but you want to make us like them???

Reading comprehension helps. That place simply said who was banned. It wasn't a situation of them saying "the following people were banned for simply questioning our authoritah!" We don't ban people here for that... right? It would be bad if that was the perceived status quo, or something equally bad. That perception and the actions on the other forum caused about 300 people to up and leave and turned many others off of the forum (and that place was much smaller back then). So, eliminating pointless secrecy in the name of pseudo-compassion for people you kicked out, at least in identifying who was kicked out, actually keeps perceptions of the membership in line with reality instead of leaving it to speculation and faith that the black box of mods is functioning in a palatable manner.

ALL of the other forums I am on, and that's over a dozen other forums, make no secret of WHO is banned and the well managed forums usually make no secret of WHY they were banned if the question is asked because both pieces of information lead to better social dynamics by the membership. This place is unusual because while the mods tolerate questioning of their methods, they do so by simply not answering the questions and calling everything need-to-know and none of us peons need to know.

The secrecy is unhealthy.
We don't think so.

Not everything needs be made public, but keeping everything quiet and expecting the membership to simply be (willingly) oblivious to mod actions is arrogant and destroys the very faith in the mods that the mods are presently relying on for the acceptance of the status quo.

It's not as though this place is teetering on the precipice, but some changes towards limited openness will lead to a better forum instead of a less good forum. Remember... this is the internet and a mod is more like a mall cop than a real cop. So stop acting like the secret police. No offense...

However, the occasional "Why did the heck did he get fired?" causes disruption and also kills morale.

When I see a seemly productive forum member get banned, I must admit that I am curious
Exactly

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Its not a secret who is banned. It says banned under their username.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thank god, my infraction list is kinda long. (And hopefully not growing anymore.)

Bet mines longer than yours.

If I get banned I will tell you why. It will be because I get frustrated with someone that is educationally challenged and finally tell them in a politically incorrect way. Hopefully that doesn't give anyone a clue as to my long list of expired and current infractions. I really have been biting my tongue.

Hey mods can I have a well done since it has been a few weeks of me behaving well?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
On over policing...

I have to admit, I spend alot of time on this forum, I read most post, and there are alot of times when I find people getting band without really knowing what exactly they did to deserve it. The posts seem to get deleted.

Sometimes I get to threads and they don't make alot of sense and then I see a admin message saying something like, "now this thread has been cleaned, don't anybody keep this up" and I'm thinking keep what up...I can't tell because all the posts are gone? I don't wanna post in that thread because I'm not sure really what went on and I don't want to get in trouble unknowingly.

I got an infraction recently for an inflammatory post where I felt I was just having a bit of a joke. I can see how it would be easy to post something and get band when you just thought you were having a good hearty argument with someone. I don't understand why everything has to be so tightly policed constantly. Is it so bad that a thread continues with an argument, and is it so bad that we see some of those posts? Whats the harm?

On a related note:

I felt I was having a good argument with Linus about healthcare the other night and I go to bed, wake up, check the forum, the topic has deviated from the topic for a few posts and its closed. Whats the harm of a few people posting off topic if others in the thread are continuing a conversation?

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
If one really wants to know, some easy investigating will tell you why

Investigation is typically unsuccessful because posts (and entire threads) can be deleted by admins.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Nah there should not be a reason listed as too why they were banned.

If it's a perm ban then maybe an anouncment that xyz member will no longer be posting would be kinda nice because then we would not all be wondering where they went to. But this site is ran pretty good I think the mods have certain lines that they dont want crossed and they should not be.

We all know there are some threads that are gonna be locked when they are started such as firearms, somebody post something about gun ownership and then some antigun member say's we dont need em and it turns into a he said- she said, so I dont post about firearms here if I wanna post about guns I go to the other handful of sites I frequent for that.

medic417

The Truth Provider
We all know there are some threads that are gonna be locked when they are started such as firearms, somebody post something about gun ownership and then some antigun member say's we dont need em and it turns into a he said- she said, so I dont post about firearms here if I wanna post about guns I go to the other handful of sites I frequent for that.

Your wrong about guns. In fact your....................:p

Yup certain topics get heated quick.