Bad Day just gets worse.

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Ok so I just got back from my appointment and it didn't go as I wanted lol. My pathology report came back that the tumor was cancerous. Also when they did my CT scan they found a lump on my left kidney which they think may just be a cyst *sp* but I had to do a renal ultrasound today for that. They also found that one of my lymph nods is enlarged which can be due to the cancer but can also be bc of my surgery. I have to go see a oncologist on friday to see if I will have to go through chemo or radiation and also to see if I have to have surgery to remove the lymph nod. Also he wants me to be off work for another 2 weeks because im not healing as fast as he would like and that really sucks. I am going to do some research to find out if there's any help I can get with the medical expenses since I don't have any insurance. So that is all I know for now and wish it could of went better but such is life right. All I know is that im not going to allow this to interfere with my ems career or me getting my paramedic degree. I really do appreciate all the well wishes and replies from everyone here. EMS is one family that I am proud to belong to.

kermit

Forum Crew Member
Sorry to hear about all this Travis. I was just taking a break from studying for my EMT-B class tonight,and logged on only to see your situation. We will be keeping you in our prayers. I would love to have some great words of wisdom or comfort but to be honest, I cant even imagine what that would be like.Sounds like you are a well adjusted, motivated person who will bounce back from this with a real experience to share. Oh by the way thanks for talking me into going to the CC for the EMT-B. I see that the online class and boot camp might have not been for me. I'm enjoying it too much for it to be over in two weeks anyway! Please Keep us posted.I will be checking nightly now to see how it goes. HANG IN THERE!!

yummymummy

Forum Ride Along
Im so sorry to hear that it was cancerous EmtTravis,
but lets just take one step at a time, the lump on your kidney may just be a cyst which i doubt they will do anything for unless it is causing problems and the lymph node may not be what you are thinking at the moment.
You sound very positive and that i have to admire in you, please keep it up and dont loose heart, there are a lot of people here on this site following you and keeping hope for you too.
If you have to have chemo or radio you will get thru that too, you are a fighter,this will not beat you.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
EMTTravis, you are resilient!

You've given us a pretty good sketch of who you are. In earlier posts you established yourself as someone willing to ask others for help, able to seriously consider input and then ultimately make decisions that are solid both for you and your patients. That's a great starting place and I have no doubt that these characteristics, and your Husky, will pull you through.

DO NOT SHY AWAY FROM GETTING A SECOND OPINION. Remember, it's the "practice" of medicine and you are not a mannequin.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Brother. I'm here for you if you want to PM.

medic417

The Truth Provider
If your state has a work force commission check with them. Sometimes they fund procedures that allow you to return to being a productive citizen. Don't be shy about checking into medicaid, social security disability, check with churches, the red cross, and even consider setting up an account at a bank for donations and post your basic information and maybe some good hearted person will help. Also talk with the hospital billing manager they may know some local or even national organizations that might help.

Hope you a speedy recovery.

angels.girl84

Forum Crew Member
If your state has a work force commission check with them. Sometimes they fund procedures that allow you to return to being a productive citizen. Don't be shy about checking into medicaid, social security disability, check with churches, the red cross, and even consider setting up an account at a bank for donations and post your basic information and maybe some good hearted person will help. Also talk with the hospital billing manager they may know some local or even national organizations that might help.

Hope you a speedy recovery.

You should be eligible for short term disability for now & check into medicaid they are there to help you :)

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
You should be eligible for short term disability for now & check into medicaid they are there to help you :)

Yea I was told that today. I remember my mom getting short term disability when she was terminal but wasn't sure if I would be able to get anything. Believe me im not one to take from others but I just don't see how I can pay all these Dr bills and surgery and everything myself. I've been working for 15 years so I am just thinking that what i'll get help with is some of what i've paid into. I just want this to be done and over with. I know i'll survive but the process of everything sucks lol.

kermit

Forum Crew Member
I know that pretty much everyone is strapped right now with this economy......But if you were to post an address or a account to wire money too,I'm sure all of us could do without a couple big macs, and send a few bucks ,It would add up. If I'm willing to do it I'm sure there's 20 more at least.
Its people like you Travis, who through reading post and talking to about this profession that compelled me to get into EMS. I have missed being part of a TEAM since I got out of the Army.EMS,to me feels more like family so post us an address and let us show ya that WE GOT UR BACK:usa:

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I know that pretty much everyone is strapped right now with this economy......But if you were to post an address or a account to wire money too,I'm sure all of us could do without a couple big macs, and send a few bucks ,It would add up. If I'm willing to do it I'm sure there's 20 more at least.
Its people like you Travis, who through reading post and talking to about this profession that compelled me to get into EMS. I have missed being part of a TEAM since I got out of the Army.EMS,to me feels more like family so post us an address and let us show ya that WE GOT UR BACK:usa:

Kermit, I'm really glad you decided to go to a CC instead of the online way. You will get to learn more and depending on your instructor get to experience more in the class room setting. I haven"t been in EMS for long but I have grown to love the work and most of the people in EMS. There are so many people willing to help out with their knowledge and lend a helping hand when its needed or just some advice. There are a few on this site that I have come to admire and one day hope to be like. I know alot of people even people in EMS just see this as a job but I see it as more. We are a family of people that love helping in emergencies when most people would be to shocked to do anything. I have been a part of a few different to me *elite* groups such as the army and I even did trucking for a while which is another great experience and group of people and I like you missed the feeling of being part of something bigger and EMS and the community on here have given that back to me. I try and contribute what I can on here but being new to EMS that is not much. I may not believe as much as most in god and everything but I do believe i've been blessed to be a part of the EMS family.

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
So I had my Oncologist appointment today. My appointment was at 2 and they wanted me there at 1:30 to fill out some paperwork. I didn't get taken back to a room til 2:30 and then my Oncologist didn't come see me til around 3:30. Needless to say I was getting pretty aggravated. So he comes in and introduces himself and says so you have testicular cancer. I said yes sir and he said well that's all I know about you. Turns out my Urologist's office never sent any of my records or anything to his office. So he did a basic check up and explained a few things but that's it. I'm not a very happy camper seeing as how I have to drive a hour and a half to see him. I'm more than likely going to end up dropping a couple of my college classes that are actually in the class room because I wont have the money to keep going to both my classes and my dr's appointments which are both a hour and a half from where I live. I will be putting a few things up for sale in the for sale section. One of the thing's I'll have is a Genuine Dolce and Gabbana mens watch which I got for my birthday and only wore a handful of times. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Travis

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Well Travis, that sucks... but you're going to make sure that you got the cancer beat. Your health is going to have to take precedence over taking a class or two for now. That'll slow things down a little for you, but once you're CA free, you'll be able to get on with life.

Be thankful that you were able to catch it... my mother in law passed away a few years ago from complications of Ovarian CA and didn't catch it until it was way too late.

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Well I had my 2nd appointment with my oncologist yesterday. He finally got my records and the pictures of my CT scan and ultrasounds. He said the lump on my kidney is nothing to worry about. He is worried about my lymph nods though because there is more than one that is enlarged. He is pretty sure that I will more than likely have to do chemo which sucks. Also one of the companies I was working for let me go. I called them yesterday about seeing if they had scheduled me and they said that they no longer needed me. I was still in my probation period there so they could let me go without cause and that really sucks. So yea I'm not sure where to go from here. Hope everyone is having a great week.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I had my 2nd appointment with my oncologist yesterday. He finally got my records and the pictures of my CT scan and ultrasounds. He said the lump on my kidney is nothing to worry about. He is worried about my lymph nods though because there is more than one that is enlarged. He is pretty sure that I will more than likely have to do chemo which sucks. Also one of the companies I was working for let me go. I called them yesterday about seeing if they had scheduled me and they said that they no longer needed me. I was still in my probation period there so they could let me go without cause and that really sucks. So yea I'm not sure where to go from here. Hope everyone is having a great week.

Are you able to work? If so and you want to work, this sounds like a news worthy human interest story...company fires probie over cancer diagnosis. It's about time people expose some of the disgusting employers out there that build their businesses using medicare/medicaid dollars. Your termination is in extermely poor taste. The news would hear about it. Then head over to the SS office and apply for SSI....you may be qualified for the short term but it takes about 90 days to get through the red tape. Be well Travis.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Everything is shifting

I was still in my probation period there so they could let me go without cause and that really sucks. So yea I'm not sure where to go from here. Hope everyone is having a great week.

You're kind of entering a new dimension, Travis. Everything in your life will be transforming. Nothing you knew to be real will remain so. Talk about "working" on the edge of life and death! Guess you're on the Front Lines now!

You came here on the edge of a new career and also a whole new set of technical and moral decisions to make. You did a wonderful job of sorting through what you were faced with, taking an appropriate amount of time to ask for others' advice, weigh what they said, and then take action. I was moved by the care you took in really examining what you were in the middle of and how you included us in your decision making process. You also used the advice that YOU felt would produce the most balanced result. You jumped off the cliff and took a few risks in the process and it moved you forward!

(Just kind of want to remind you who you are.)

So now, I'm sure you're being barraged by opinions, data, queries, tests and this' and that's, but you know what? I bet you'll make some pretty tough but good choices along the way.

One of them, I think, is about your relationship with EMS and this site. Personally, I want to hear more of your story as you go along. You have enough EMS exposure to be our teacher. On what? Don't have a clue specifically but I'm sure many of the themes you're dealing with as a patient -- how you are treated as a human being for example -- have application to us and what we do.

At the same time, I REALLY want you to focus every ounce of your energy on the task at hand -- moving toward health. Don't waste your time with us unless it inspires, moves, comforts or provides energy for the challenges.

I'll be so bold as to say we're ALL with you.

Best of good turns in the road!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Fire could not have said it better. We really are rooting for you. Hoping this is a short run and a quick recovery for you. It's scarey but it's beatable. I wish you the best of luck.

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Hey everyone. I haven't been on in a while because i've been sick. Been to the Dr a couple of times since I last posted on here. Had a appointment with my oncologist today and got some not so wanted news. The type of cancer cells that I have are very aggressive and has went to my lungs. My blood work is showing some of my tumor markers are high also. I have another CT scan scheduled for the 5th of next month to check some of my lymph nodes that have some tumors on them that range from 2 to 3cm's in size. I've had blood drawn twice a week to keep an eye on my markers and they stay high. I have been getting about 2 to 3 hours of sleep a night since this all began. I have also racked up about 30 grand in medical bills in the past 3 and a half weeks. The company that let me go said it was due to the fact that I was not learning the area fast enough so that was their reason for letting me go. I have been doing some work for the other company I'm with but only about 8 hours a week which doesn't come to much. My wife got a position at work to where she will still be making minimum wage but we can get insurance but I will be considered pre existing so m cancer will not be covered. I truly am grateful for all the well wishes that everyone on here has shown it does mean alot. As of right now my Dr said I can expect to go through 4 rounds of chemo starting in about a month and may be more rounds if the first 4 don't take care of it all. I will try and keep everyone on here updated as best as I can. Hope you are all doing great and hope your all in good health..

Travis

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
I am here for you Travis. Please keep posting and keep us updated. I would like to suggest starting a page on CaringBridge. I will light a candle for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Also if you want to contact me privately, I have another suggestion for handling your expenses. Remember that your EMS family is behind you.

God Bless YOU and YOURS.

waydizzy

Forum Ride Along
Hey Travis, you and your family are definitely in my thoughts.

If you have a Paypal account, maybe you could post your e-mail address here and folks could send a few bucks your way to start chipping away at your medical expenses. Just a thought. Keep us posted!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Hey Travis, you and your family are definitely in my thoughts.

If you have a Paypal account, maybe you could post your e-mail address here and folks could send a few bucks your way to start chipping away at your medical expenses. Just a thought. Keep us posted!

That or set up a bank account fund and let us know how to contact the bank.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hang in there Travis. I will be praying for you and your family. If you don't have a Paypal account, go online and set one up. It's easy to do. Once you do that, just let us know the email address associated with it and we can get the word out. You'd be surprised how much your fellow medics, strangers and friends alike, will pitch in to help. Keep your spirits up.