B.S. EHS is it really worthwhile?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I am tentatively graduating with a Associates in Emergency medical services this year and I was thinking about moving on to a bachelors at minimum and since I always get my junk mail box filled with the various schools that offer degrees for EMS and fire personnel I figured I would take a look.

From what I've seen most offer bachelors in two options
1. reiterating what has been provided in my Associates Degree program just taking it to a new level.
2. Focusing much more strictly on a business/administrative standpoint

Anyone pursue a Bachelors degree in Emergency Management or Emergency Health Services? Feel free to chime in on your experience and thoughts. Or Am I just better off moving on to a BSN or Business degree??

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am in a BS public safety program. I have an AAS in EMS and it transferred in 100%. It is a hybrid program you can attend full time in person or on line. There are a few different concentrations and minors you can choose from. It is geared toward fire/EMS/Leo who are working in the field already. My concentration is emergency management and my minor is EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I went back to school to complete mine. I am completing mine at Central Washington University in Paramedicine, I should be done with it this summer. IMO it really paves the way for EMS director jobs. These type of BS degree's also typically accept all of your EMS and Paramedic credits from community college, something many BS/BA options may not. So if your going on to graduate school or PA or anything, the EMS BS degree makes the most since in my own opinion. The reason I chose one in EMS is twofold, from an overseas perspective to practice as a medic in many places you need a BS in Paramedicine, EHS, or EMS. A BS in nursing, or business wont cut it, since I work abroad it makes since for me to get it. Secondly I plan on going to grad school, by accepting all my EMS credits into the degree plan it reduces unnecessary under grad course, time , and money, that I would otherwise have to spend on another degree plan.

OP
OP
U

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
yes I see your reasoning now where paramedic credits and A&P chem bio and the such wouldn't exactly transfer if I chose a degree in Business Administration or something.

Can you guys tell me how is your degree focused is it more management related or more medical aspect related? I would think the best option if you chose to maintain a career in EMS would be a mix of both.

My thoughts would be
1. probably don't wanna be on the streets at 60 doing a young mans job. Im only early 30's but I am not gonna get any younger.
2. In the event of injury or debilitating disease process that limits my capabilities do I want to have to start all over again, or can I lateral transfer to a administrative standpoint?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm doing the online BHSc at nova southeastern university. I like it so far. It's built for health professionals, and has a variety of classes to take whether your interests lie in business, research, or community involvement. I'm only a week in, but I like it so far.

OP
OP
U

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I assume your degree is completely online?

Pitt offers a great program for me but being that I'm across the state now its hard to attend classes from 12 hours away.

Only the 2nd year of the major is online, the other 3 years are on campus so the degree is hybrid.
However, this does not apply to you since you are a current Paramedic with an AAS. If you have an associates degree and a Paramedic cert, they waive your general education requirements at the university and it leaves you with only the online portion of the degree to complete. This is called "Advanced Standing" That section ca be found here https://www.cwu.edu/health-science/paramedicine-advanced-standing